looking for obsolete part

Hi RAMVA! This is my first post here. I have been lurking for about a month now, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with the knowledge, and wit, that I've found here! Even the few ignorant posters have had a very high entertainment value. I am hooked like a junkie!

Now, on to the reason for posting. I am the very proud owner of a '66 Bug. I do intend on a complete restoration of it, but it will have to be done in baby steps, as I don't have the cash or know-how to dive right in. I do most of my own vehicle maintenance (I TRY to avoid brake and tranny work), but most of my experience is with GMs (pre '74-350s being my favorite). I'm still trying to learn my new baby, inside-and-out, so please be patient if I'm not as savvy as some of you geniuses (that's a sincere "g-word" - not tongue-in-cheek). The car is in pretty good shape over-all, but recently my flasher/hazard relay sort of crumbled apart. I got one from a nearby junkyard, but it didn't work either. I sent both with a machine-shop buddy who tried to resolder/rework them, but no luck. I've searched the net weekly for a couple of months but can't find any for sale (part #

111-953-225). I found an after-market replacement at cip1.com for $100US (I'm in Ohio, US). Is this the way I should go? Seems like a lot of $$, but I'm not sure if there is an alternative that I haven't thought of yet. The only book I've acquired for it, so far, is a Haynes (I know, I know, but it's all I've come across so far).

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

~Vicki

PS - Thanks so much for all the giggles, and out-right guffaws! What a great group!

Reply to
Vicki

.............I'm almost afraid to ask, but which one of us is the most clever and entertaining.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Posting the part number here helps. Somebody might have one sitting around they would be happy to send you. Also try looking and posting the same at

and other sites. Buggy builders should be a pretty good bet as we usually remove all that kind of stuff.

Welcome and good luck, < TC

Reply to
tcrdn11

Thanks. I try to be of value somehow. :-)

I'd start here:

then watch for Speedy Jim to reply. Good luck.

Reply to
Shag

Hmm... I gotta remember that next time I need a VW question answered REALLY fast, I'll just post using a woman's name... Seems the responses are coming in really fast..... :-)

Reply to
Shag

About your electrical troubles, make them a separate post stating it in the subject line, and Speedy Jim will be to your rescue.. (Some of this stuff is related to U.S. sold cars only), hence the reluctance to give any concrete advise..

There is no reason to avoid brake work, as it is very simple and straight forwards, tranny on the other hand.....

Welcome to the group.

P.J.Berg

Ps. Am I correct to assume Vicki is still a female name in the "Land of the free"?

Reply to
P.J. Berg

Blimey, we where tricked! J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

So, if there would be something I need to know, I'd simply sign it "Aunt Mary" ?? And Bob would be my uncle and all troubles solved? :O))

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

.............Did you notice how helpful and informative my response was? Speedy Jim and Howard Rose will know what she should do with a '66 electrical system. I was just trying to find out whether it was you that's so entertaining.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

. The car is in pretty good shape over-all, but recently my

There is an article about the infamous "Black Box" here:

yours is a 7-terminal box, they are similar. '66 was 6V, so the box you have is a one-year only part.

Forget the Haynes diagrams (good manual otherwise). Download your year here:

If you don't need/want the 4-Way Hazard function, see if you can find a 6V 3-term flasher P/N 111 953 185C or equal. That would save some cash. If you want to go that route, and can find one, post back and we'll sort it.

More electrical info on my web site:

Reply to
Speedy Jim

| > PS - Thanks so much for all the giggles, and out-right guffaws! What a | > great group! | >

| | .............I'm almost afraid to ask, but which one of us is the most | clever and entertaining. | |

I may be new to the group, but I didn't just fall off of the turnip truck. I'm not about to alienate anyone here, by not listing them - I may need their help in the future. I will admit that you have made me giggle a few times though, Tim.

Reply to
Vicki O'

| >> PS - Thanks so much for all the giggles, and out-right guffaws! What a | >> great group! | >>

| >.............I'm almost afraid to ask, but which one of us is the most | >clever and entertaining. | >

| | Hmm... I gotta remember that next time I need a VW question answered | REALLY fast, I'll just post using a woman's name... Seems the | responses are coming in really fast..... :-) | |

Sorry I don't have a penis to wag back at you, Shag. That's just the way I was born. BTW, before you start a flame war with me, you make me giggle too. You make me think of a younger brother, who's quick to anger, just a tiny bit immature, but well-meaning with a big heart. And at least you show signs of having a capacity to learn. ;^D I look forward to reading future posts from you. ~Vicki

Reply to
Vicki O'

| > Now, on to the reason for posting. I am the very proud owner of a '66 Bug. | > I do intend on a complete restoration of it, but it will have to be done in | > baby steps, as I don't have the cash or know-how to dive right in. I do | > most of my own vehicle maintenance (I TRY to avoid brake and tranny work), | > but most of my experience is with GMs (pre '74-350s being my favorite). I'm | > still trying to learn my new baby, inside-and-out, so please be patient if | > I'm not as savvy as some of you geniuses (that's a sincere "g-word" - not | > tongue-in-cheek). The car is in pretty good shape over-all, but recently my | > flasher/hazard relay sort of crumbled apart. I got one from a nearby | > junkyard, but it didn't work either. I sent both with a machine-shop buddy | > who tried to resolder/rework them, but no luck. I've searched the net | > weekly for a couple of months but can't find any for sale (part # | > 111-953-225). I found an after-market replacement at cip1.com for $100US | > (I'm in Ohio, US). Is this the way I should go? Seems like a lot of $$, | > but I'm not sure if there is an alternative that I haven't thought of yet. | > The only book I've acquired for it, so far, is a Haynes (I know, I know, but | > it's all I've come across so far). | >

| > Any advice or help would be appreciated. | >

| > ~Vicki | >

| > PS - Thanks so much for all the giggles, and out-right guffaws! What a | > great group! | | Posting the part number here helps. Somebody might have one sitting | around they would be happy to send you. Also try looking and posting | the same at

and other sites. Buggy builders should be | a pretty good bet as we usually remove all that kind of stuff. | | Welcome and good luck, | < | TC |

Thanks for the advice TC. That is actually one of about 20 sites that I've accumulated so far, concerning bugs. I'll try them next - but considering what I've been reading here, I thought this was a good starting point. ~Vicki

Reply to
Vicki O'

| > Now, on to the reason for posting. I am the very proud owner of a '66 Bug. | > I do intend on a complete restoration of it, but it will have to be done in | > baby steps, as I don't have the cash or know-how to dive right in. I do | > most of my own vehicle maintenance (I TRY to avoid brake and tranny work), | > but most of my experience is with GMs (pre '74-350s being my favorite). I'm | > still trying to learn my new baby, inside-and-out, so please be patient if | > I'm not as savvy as some of you geniuses (that's a sincere "g-word" - not | > tongue-in-cheek). The car is in pretty good shape over-all, but recently my | > flasher/hazard relay sort of crumbled apart. I got one from a nearby | > junkyard, but it didn't work either. I sent both with a machine-shop buddy | > who tried to resolder/rework them, but no luck. I've searched the net | > weekly for a couple of months but can't find any for sale (part # | > 111-953-225). I found an after-market replacement at cip1.com for $100US | > (I'm in Ohio, US). Is this the way I should go? Seems like a lot of $$, | > but I'm not sure if there is an alternative that I haven't thought of yet. | > The only book I've acquired for it, so far, is a Haynes (I know, I know, but | > it's all I've come across so far). | >

| > Any advice or help would be appreciated. | >

| > ~Vicki | >

| > PS - Thanks so much for all the giggles, and out-right guffaws! What a | > great group! | >

| | About your electrical troubles, make them a separate post stating it in | the subject line, and Speedy Jim will be to your rescue.. (Some of this | stuff is related to U.S. sold cars only), hence the reluctance to give | any concrete advise.. | | There is no reason to avoid brake work, as it is very simple and | straight forwards, tranny on the other hand..... | | Welcome to the group. | | P.J.Berg | | Ps. Am I correct to assume Vicki is still a female name in the "Land of | the free"? |

Thanks for the advice P.J. I'll admit that I was secretly hoping for a reply from Speedy Jim or Jan. They seem like the top dogs when it comes to knowledge about bugs. For you other geniuses reading this - don't get your panties in a bunch! That is simply a personal observation, and I know that many of you are just as informed/capable. It's just that those two leave me in awe at times. BTW P.J., I've noticed that you seem to know your stuff too, and you've given me plenty of giggles too. ;^) Are you implying that I should re-post this to catch Speedy Jim's eye, or is that just for future reference? ~Vicki

Reply to
Vicki O'

I'm harder to get rid of than most people have thought. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Welcome! Yeah, these guys are great, aren't they?? I am a newbie as well and the info has been invaluable and always entertaining.

Here's a book I have been using: "How to restore a volkswagen beetle", ISBN

1-903706-90-4 (got it from Amazon.com). It is from the UK and quite detailed with a lot of pix and descriptions. Also look into the bugmevideo.com tapes - it is money well spent. If you need to do a 'body off' restore or engine rebuild (as I amd doing), it sure beats any book or web site.

Remco

Reply to
remco

Thanks Speedy Jim! I was hoping I might hear from you. I actually found your site before I found RAMVA. That was months ago when I was considering converting to a 12V system. Thanks to your article, I've decided to wait at least a year, if not indefinitely, on that project ;^) . As for this one, you gave me a lot to chew on. While I'm certainly capable of the re-wiring project in the article, I was hoping to find an old, working part. Just lazy I guess. I really appreciate the info though - it will make it much easier, if that's what I have to do. Thanks for the diagram link too! Being in color will help a lot. I'd been to that site in the past, but only browsed briefly - like a tourist. I thought they were exclusive to buses, so just enjoyed the pictures. I'll poke around some local shops/yards/driveways tomorrow and see if I can find the alternate part you mentioned. I'm sure that would be simpler than building a relay system from scratch. I'll just have to see if my OCD will let me intentionally make my bug "less-than-perfect". Did I mention that I'm a proud owner? :^D Thanks so much for the offer of future help on that too. ~Vicki

Reply to
Vicki O'

...........Three terminal 6-volt flashers are available at NAPA. It's been awhile since I bought one but I remember that they're inexpensive. Advanced and Autozone can probably get them too.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

| > ~Vicki | >

| > PS - Thanks so much for all the giggles, and out-right guffaws! What a | > great group! | >

| | Welcome! Yeah, these guys are great, aren't they?? I am a newbie as well and | the info has been invaluable and always entertaining. | | Here's a book I have been using: "How to restore a volkswagen beetle", ISBN | 1-903706-90-4 (got it from Amazon.com). It is from the UK and quite detailed | with a lot of pix and descriptions. | Also look into the bugmevideo.com tapes - it is money well spent. If you | need to do a 'body off' restore or engine rebuild (as I amd doing), it sure | beats any book or web site. | | Remco | |

Thanks Remco. I'll check into the book. I've been to Bugmevideo, and have already made out my xmas list! Their demo movie even had some info in it that I was looking for - the color codes have all worn off of my relay, so I was checking to make sure I hadn't crossed wires in all the aggravation. They even held it up to the camera for me! Speedy Jim just sent me some info that cleared that up for me, for my future reference. I'm hoping there isn't an engine rebuild in my near-future - she only has 68k miles under her belt. I don't want to go there at all, but will if I have to for my bug. I just love her. I guess I should mention too, that a lot of your posts have had me laughing too. Quite the entertaining group I've found. When I first started with the VW newsgroups, I was subscribed to about 20. As of last week, I've unsub'd to all of them but this one. The rest just weren't worth the time. Thanks for the info. ~Vicki PS - Any philanthropists out there wanting to help out with a red-head's xmas list? (I just had to try, since it seems that just being a girl was to my advantage... Gotta use what you've got, right?) }~D

Reply to
Vicki O'

| > I'll poke around some local | > shops/yards/driveways tomorrow and see if I can find the alternate part | you | > mentioned. | >

| | ...........Three terminal 6-volt flashers are available at NAPA. It's been | awhile since I bought one but I remember that they're inexpensive. Advanced | and Autozone can probably get them too. | Thanks Tim! Did I mention I wasn't that savvy yet? ;^) I was just going to head to all my local bug connections (mostly just backyard mechanics that share my bug-bug). Glad I don't need to now - it's awfully hot for all that weed-walking! ~Vicki

Reply to
Vicki O'