looking for 'professional' advice in chicago land area

Lots of troubles. with my VW and I don't have a lot of background and mechanical capabilities, and time is a huge issue right now unfortunately.....I'm looking for some professional work to happen on my 1968 VW bug.

Won't start after it sits for awhile. I checked the starter and solenoid a long time ago and there was no whirring action....Also the battery drains, and it's a new battery so I dont think that should be the problem.

I purchased a new starter and solenoid which i will be installing...hopefully that will do the trick.

If not, does anyone have suggestions. The engine is pretty new...1776 cc dual carb...only like 5000 miles on it. The problem was that she sat all winter and wasn't driven...that's when these starter/electrical problems began.

Thanks for any suggestions! The more the better :)

Katie

Reply to
kt.stefani

southside, northside, westside? please don't start throwing parts at it. ;-) might be the interior light, or a relay, or switch or ???

BTW Where did the engine come from?

Reply to
One out of many Daves

My car is actually in Crystal Lake...NW subarb bout a hour or so out of chicago.

The engine was installed in Southern California, which is also where the car is from. The mechanics are abundant out there...but I'm having trouble trusting people. It also seems like I'll pay an arm and a leg to get anyone to look at it.

I dont' have an interior light, and there was a problem with the wiper motor but I took it out of my car comepletely.....

thanks again for the help Dave,

Katie

Reply to
kt.stefani

ok a little far from me since I am in the city. :-)

Maybe Jeff Spencer is closer or someone else on this page

is excellent with performance air-cooled engine work and has a good supply of parts. I believe he cares about his work.Of course he does more than just engines. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many Daves