Loss of power then...Oil everywhere!

Ok, my 74 Super Beetle let me down the other day. I was cruising down the freeway and noticed I wasn't accelerating at all in fact, I was decelerating. I thought this odd and downshifted to see if I could move it along (I was on a schedule). I then noticed I had blue smoke coming from the engine comparment. Hmmm, I continued to lose speed. Well, when I dropped below 30 I decided I was in trouble so pulled over to the shoulder and stopped. As I did my oil warning light flicked on. I jumped out of the car and low and behold oil was pouring onto the pavement.

I've scoured the boards for info on this kind of problem and it sounds like I'm going to have to pull the engine to replace the seals. However, I wanted to post the particular details of my situation and see if something else might be the problem.

Thanks for any and all help!

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn M Hannon

..I highly doubt this will help. Check endplay and compression...make sure the breather is clear and report back.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Check compression. Or...run engine at idle and remove the oil filler cap. Put your hand lightly over the opening. Normally, you will feel just a flutter. If you get bursts of pressure strong enough to force your hand off, suspect piston with hole.

I have a hunch you're in for a project...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Okay, but exactly WHERE was the oil coming from? You need to look a bit closer and be more specific. There are lots of possibilities withing the realm of the engine.

-

Jim Adney

That happened to me once. I seized the engine. The blue smoke and the engine tugging on itself are clues to me. Is it seized? Even if it isn't, you've got some major damage inside there if the motor was tugging like that combined with blue smoke. It sounds like it was gettting so hot it was welding itself together but then breaking apart from the momentum of driving.

Rob in Salt Lake

RobTaylor

The oil everywhere could be as simple as a blown valve cover gasket, however the internal pressure that blew the gasket is most likely a major issue. - BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic

The oil coming out is a very bad sign. I was driving in my 1600 74 at

6:00 am during the one of the worst winters in NY history. We had 17 snow storms. I was on a highway when my gen light went on. There was no where to pull over the snow was 6 feet high on both sides of the road from the plows. So I had to wait for the next exit which was only one mile down the road. Then I had the same symptoms as you. It died on the exit and oil was pouring out. The Cause, my fan belt broke. YOu would think in sub Zero weather I could go a mile, before the engine overheated. Oil was leaking out like crazy. #3 valve blew from over heating and the chainreaction caused a rod to come through the case. Joe Cali
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Ouch...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Thanks for all of the help!

Speedy, I put my hand over the oil filler as you suggested but it's just a steady stream of little puffs, no big gushes of air.

It also is holding it's oil now. I went out to the street to move her to the driveway (I haven't had a chance to even look at it until today) and she had her oil and started up fine. Drove into the driveway and parked and she held her oil and is only leaking the usual few drops.

I assume that if I was to drive her around for a while and let the engine get really hot I'd run into the same problem if not more. I haven't had a chance to check compression as was suggested, I plan on doing that tomorrow. Keep the stories and suggestions coming! Thanks!

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn M Hannon

Reply to
Shane

Guys I may be wrong but he says he lost power when it happened. A valve cover or the like will not make you lose power. The fact it was running today is a good sign, the engine is not seized. But it could have done something to the rings. I have seen over heating make the rings loose tension and you get major blow by and loss of power when hot. If that is the case what made him over heat. Compression test is the next step. Right now he has to do a ring job maybe. If he keeps driving it with out a Compression test we may talking scraping the engine.

Joe Cali

Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

When I had the VW engine in my bus, there was always the problem of checking the oil level - level. Since I always parked at a slight slant in my driveway, but always the same spot, I checked the reading after an oil change and running for a bit then allowing to set overnight - to see where the reading should be when checked cold at that location. If I backed into the driveway, the dipstick would give a reading over a quart low - When I did not realize it I would add up to two quarts to get the reading within spec and find out that it was actually almost two quarts over full. A very slight slope can have a major effect on dipstick readings. - BaH

Reply to
Busahaulic