Making a hardtop a convertible

Hi, I have a 69 convertible, rusty and a perfect 69 hardtop. I was thinking about doing a merge and making the hardtop a convert.

Any thoughts?

Pictures of both cars:

69 hardtop here:
69 convert here:
I would fix the rust on the 69 convert but it would involve 1) new heater channels, 2) new frame head, 3) new package tray, 4) new firewall, 5) fix saggy door A-pilars, 6) fix out of align doors due to poor pan replacement (doors close "high" not low). Seems easier to make the hardtop a convert.

Nieve as it may be, can you

1) cut the rear of the convertible car body (rear door pilars/quarter panels above the heater tubes all the way around to the other rear door piliar)

2) fit/cut/weld the convert body rear sectiopn onto the 69 hardtop, replace hardtop doors with the convert doors, use the convert quarter glass.

3) weld in the windshield frame from the convert onto the 69 hardtop

4) weld in the body supports on the underside of the hardtop

and have a "converted-convert"?

Ever been done?

Paul

Reply to
ppalmer

JMHO I vote that you restore both!

I think you will have to do too much work to make that hardtop into a convertible. You will need to chop quite a bit of the hardtop AND convertible at the front, rear and bottom installing the front to rear supports. Then you will be left with 1 Type 1 that might be a good, but not "original" restoration. It sounds like you will be doing more work to convert than to just restore the convertible. Take the convertible apart and off the pan, repair the pan and body while apart. Replace Heater Channels and Reinforcing Supports to the body. I think most pieces to do your restoration are easy to find. Of course be very careful when piecing it back together to make sure all parts line up. I helped someone restore a KG Conv this way and it came out solid.

There used to be a kit to convert a Sedan into a Convertible, but I don't think that place still exists.

JMHO and have fun! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Paul, honestly, that sounds like more work(your plan) than the list you had that needs done to restore the factory vert....the door issues would be taken care of when you replace the channels...the package tray and framehead aren't that big of a deal either....will be doing channels and framehead in my 68 sedan soon...could just do some patches, but i'd rather do the whole thing...see, told ya...it's not bad to do....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Its not going to happen Fix the vert it would be half the work

I think this guy really is tring to yank our leg

Bet the 15 yr old barn find could be traded for a vert, in fact I have a 72 it needs work but a much easier project then is being discussed .

Mario Vintage Werks restorations

Reply to
Kafertoys

Reply to
ppalmer

Agreed. I am going to pull the body off the blue vert and see what is there.

Thanks Paul

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
ppalmer

"double the pleasure, double the fun"....now i gotta have some double mint gum, i guess...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani