Mexican aircooled beetle: inside rear view mirror

I'm driving a 1996 Mexican made Volkswagen 1600i (aircooled of course) and the inside rear view mirror which is sticked to the windscreen in those newer beetles fell off. No problem I thought, made a hole in the roof liner above the windscreen and tried to fix an original interior mirror which I had kept in the garage from the old days. It's the normal interior mirror used from 1967 to 1986 or so. Now here is my problem: Underneath the roof liner there is a hole but it is much too big and the original old mirror won't stay in its place. Anyone out there who knows a solution? Thank you.

Reply to
Holger Priebs

I don't know where you live, but at least in the USA you can get pretty good glue for just that purpose from Autozone or Advance Autoparts stores. Maybe your local parts stores carry something similar. Not all of the glues work however...

I don't know the later model mexibeetles, but I once replaced the mirror in a 74 german made beetle with one from a Passat. Must have been an

80's model. Same mount type (Push in and twist), but the mirror was a little tighter, if I remember correctly. Small difference, but it did require more force to click it on that the original mirror. Reason I wanted a Passat mirror was that it had night/day setting.

If the hole in your car is as you say, MUCH too big, then I don't know what to suggest

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Thank you Jan. I think I can get special glue for that purpose here in Germany but for me as a tall driver the mirror glued to the windscreen is very annoying. It has always been in my way so I'm going to reuse it only if everything else fails. The old-style mirror would be much better in that respect and it looks better, too. Now that I've cut a hole in the roof liner I'd prefer to get the mirror fixed there anyway.

What I don't understand: If the old mirror doesn't fit, what kind of mirror was the hole meant for? There must be a difference in size between the roofhole of a, say, 1974 beetle and a 1996 Mexican beetle.

Holger

Jan wrote:

Reply to
Holger Priebs

can you take a picture of the hole? Do not post it here, put it on a website (if you don't have one, use services like

and link us. Or email me the pic.

Jan (bugfuel at rocketmail.com)

Holger Priebs wrote:

Reply to