Mexican Sedans - Differences

Hi RAMVA! Anyone here knows the differences between the german built Beetle sedan (let's say a 1979) and the 1998 Mexican sedan? I already know about the A/C. are any major technical differences? What do you think of this bug?

Thanks for your info.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Besides being fuel injected. there were FI Vw's back in '79

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Pena

FI?

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote in this freaking newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

A mexican sedan is basically a 1968 standard bug, swing axle, with a

1600dp, hidraulic lifters and the FI system of a Golf.
Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Thank you very much eduardo. That's the kind of answer i needed. But it looks more like a 79 in the outside... how about the interior? and what do you think of it?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

the ones that came here (chile) had more or less the same seats and steering wheel as early Golfs. They had padded dashes (like a seventies german bug). They stopped coming here in 98, when brazil starting producing FI cars and we got back the VW GOL, at more or less the same price.

Whre are you from?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Darwin pone las reglas, Murphy la oportinidad? jejeje, me gusto eso.

I'm from the Dominican Republic. Here we had german beetles and SB's until

1979, then from 1980 to 1997 we had the whole brazilian lineup. and from then Mexican beetles.

But, I've never driven a mexican beetle. Most ACVW fans here are purists who only use german cars. So I've been a little partialized and didn't realize until now that I haven't even seen a mexican bug interior.

How do you like Mexican bugs? Pros and cons?

Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I never said "german sedan". Here we've had bugs from all around the world through the years.

Thanks for the pics, can you tell me, did you find any problems with the one u drove?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Correction, my first message DOES say german sedan. Thanks Ben. I meant 70's German sedans (just typed 79 as a random year) to mean that on the outside It looks like that (except for the missing turn signals on the fenders) and the body color trim.

Does it also "feel" like a '68 german? Digifant? what's that?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to
Ben Boyle

....................Starting in '86, vanagons had digifant as well.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Great, it sounds like a good combination. Luckily...Here (the D.R.) I can get a mexican beetle and not worry about any law against it. But I imagine there are some people out there that would sell their souls for having and driving an "ultima edicion" in the US

-Is there a way to make this vehicle US legal? What does this law say?

-How can I get even more power from this engine? it doesn't sound as much power

-are all the '68 parts and/or accesories compatible?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The last 3-5 years saw a few major changes in the Engine Management system. Mainly, the FI system went from Digifant II to Digifant I, giving the car OBD-I. Secondly, Digifant I added a knock sensor to the engine. As well, there were a few minor upgrades to the car, like the steering wheel from a late 90's Jetta, and the seats were identical to those found in an early

1999 (and prior) Golf. The last major change that I am aware of is the relocation of the ECM from the engine compartment, to under the rear seat.

The Mexican Beetles are now something to behold....I have seen one of the Final Edition Beetles (Harvest Moon Beige) in person, and in terms of build quality, it would be on-par with a German built Beetle.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Digifant grew out of Digijet, which was first introduced on the 1982 Vanagon.

In 1986, the Vanagon received Digifant and the most recent incarnation of Digifant can be found in 1993-1996/7 Golf and Jetta CLs (Canada Only) that were equipped with a 1.8L Mono-Motronic engine. This engine was throttle body injection, but had the same base engine as all Golf/Jetta Digifant vehicles from 1987-1992.

However, in the Beetle, Digifant was the best possible change ever made to the engine. It vastly improved driving quality and performance, and lowered emissions. In recent years, it also brought OBD-I to the Beetle.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Hi there,

I'm from England, and fortunatly we can still get hold of Mexican Sedans and drive them.I have had a 96 model in Dragon Green from new and got it at a personall import from Mexico. I have had no problems with the car and the build quality is as good as the last German cars I've owned. I'm lucky enough to have just orderd a Last Edition which I should be able to pick up and drive on the 5 December, i'm looking forward to this in a big way, but I intenden on keeping the millage down on this one.

Simon

Reply to
simon stone

:) I am a firm beleiver in Darwin. Every time I see a stupid driver without seat belts on and with his kid loose in the back seat I say 'Darwin was right'

Pros: engine is very quiet, has a cat converted and hydraulic lifters. A very simple inyection system (late model Digifant). Nice seats, curved (slightly) windshield, newer style hood seals (no more drafty interiors). Standard front end (most parts from 66-on fit).

Cons: swing axle tranny, not much power (maybe 60hp) seats are too padded for tall people (I would have to modify the seats of one to fit in, and I fit fine in a german or brazilian beetle).

I would buy one in a heartbeat if one could have one for a reasonable price. But down here they are still overpriced (US$4.000 for a 97/98 model). You can buy a 94 A3 golf with airconditioner for US$4500..

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

And the semy useless add on: Its the same Digifant used in post-95 mexican Golfs destined for Southamerican countries, so most engine management parts from

1.8Golfs fit.

I have a 2.0 Golf GLX with Digifant...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

That's odd...seeing a 2.0L with Digifant....most of the time, they were Motronic..

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman