Missing rear apron = overheating bus?

I got by 71 bus back from the mechanic today, but ended up driving it home without the rear apron installed (they forgot to leave the bolts for me). I noticed it seemed pretty hot when I got home (dipstick too hot to hold). My feeling is that it's because the rear apron wasn't installed. Am I right?

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Duck Fizz Bang

The rear apron is part of the system that seals the engine compartment, and prevents hot air from the exhaust from being recirculated through the cooling fan. With it off, the hot air was being brought back into the engine, causing your hot situation.

I wouldn't drive too much with it off.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Thanks, planning on installing it tomorrow with new rubber seal.

Tom

Reply to
Duck Fizz Bang

Question to the group... when your engine is run for a while so it's fully up to operating temperature, how hot does your oil dipstick get? Is it easy to grab and hold on to nice and tight? Or is it more wise to use a rag for insulating your fingers from the heat?

-Rob

Reply to
Rob J

Your fingers can be a pretty good "temp gauge" for how hot your engine is running. If the dip stick is to the point of just being "uncomfortably hot", then you're in pretty good shape. If it is so hot that you can't hold on to it, or it actually burns, then the engine is TOO hot.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Should be able to hold it for hours on end.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson