MOFOCO engines

Has anyone had any experience with engines from Mofoco? I am specifically speaking of their 1776 "Streetwise" longblock.

We recently purchased this from them, and after less than 4,000 miles are having problems. The rear main bearing is siezing, the #4 connecting rod bearing has spun, to the point of blueing the rod. I am off to the local shop today to get the full report.

At this point MOFOCO is saying that I must have run it out of oil, which I have not. The oil has been changed 3 times, and never ran low.

Thanks, Clyde

Reply to
Speedy

Engines mass produced by dummies. It's a crap-shoot.

Reply to
John Stafford

I agree with you John, however the builder who built my last motor spoke with a strong latin accent and I imagined him to be an engineer from VW of Mexico who was helping out MOFOCO. I could be wrong. Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I bought a pair of heads from them, next time I will buy from CB Performance...

Reply to
Dadeeo

We live in the area.. have heard some horrific storries of valves turning molten (actually seen the valve)

It's hit & miss...

I buy tons of fenders and body steel there.

Reply to
MN AirHead

I don't normally use such language, but I found that MOFOCO is the most aptly company I've ever encountered. My engine lasted 2 weeks. I called a (then) nearby VW shop, about 30-40 minutes from MOFOCO, and was told that they had two mofoco'd cars in the shop as I spoke to them - both disasters. I wound up having to replace the engine and they wouldn't do anything about it without my magically bringing the engine from SC to WI to show that it was really damaged - pretty difficult to do without transportation. This is the short version of a very long and much more dramatically negative story; I was told by a number of Wisconsin VW mechanics and owners that they're nothing but bad news.

Reply to
mez

from my experience, the engine was better than their warranty. The engine lasted two weeks, but the warranty was abandoned when I had trouble on the way home from MOFOCO.

Reply to
mez

Well, looks like MOFOCO is standing firm that the problem has to be a lubrication problem, and nothing else! Here is a list of the findings: Valve keepers not correct tolerance, Valves not seating properly, Flatspots on Cam lobes, pitting on lifters, no evidence of machining on connecting rods (crosshatching,) no align boring of the case after welding plate for #3cylinder (This is causing rear main bearing to sieze), #4 crank journal out of spec,

MOFOCO says that the VW motor is very delicate! And that there is no chance it was a workmanship issue. Definently was NOT happy that I had the berve to take it to a local shop in SF Bay Area.

I will be following up with whatever actions I can take, credit card, State,etc!

Reply to
Clyde