more disc brakes

Hi

I'm still working on my disc brakes. Today I could remove one if the calipers and I took it to the workshop to fix it. After some effort putting back the pistons I realized the rubber surounding one of the pistons on the brake pad side has a small hole (I mean the rubber in the following scheme:

does this mean that when I bleed the brakes I'll see lots of brake fluid coming out of the caliper? or is this unimportant? (please, please choose the second option). I want to bleed the brakes once all this mess is fixed, but I don't know what bleeder valve to use, the upper or the lower? These are late model of ATE disc brakes ('72), and I see two bleeder valves on the back side.

thanks Ant

Reply to
Ant

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:06:55 +0200, Ant ran around screaming and yelling:

neither "option"....the rubber grommet is to keep foreign crap out of the piston's bore....it is definitely not "unimportant", but it could last forever that way....i don't think that rubber is available separate, or if you can even get rebuild kits for calipers these days...

bleed away....use the top bleeder, because the air goes up... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani