More Engine Fires

To All:

It's been more than ten years since I began posting VW fix-it-up billy-dews to the Internet. The first article I posted told folks how to prevent engine fires, addressing a problem Volkswagen addressed official in 1957 or '58 in a Service Note to their dealers.

Time has added a few more wrinkles to the engine-fire problem but preventing such fires remains stone-simple.

Track down #6 of the TULZ series. Or a copy of the early 'Sermon' files. When a bug or bus begins to burn the biggest reason is sitting right there in the driver's seat.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Bob Hoover

Bob, you have reached and helped many...thanks for what you do....

for those that can't/won't track it down, go here...:

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Amen.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Add me to one of those who didn't read it! Teacher sister-in-law was using it for short trip to school --- brass tube popped out of carb and engine crispied! Fire took out rear window, wiring, engine lid and the carb meted to a small aluminum blob! Guess it could have been worse! Wish I had told her about the fire extinguisher in trunk --- would have worked better than sand.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Got the fire extinguisher, never had the POS fuel filter, and made the feed through grommet repair shortly after getting my '64 Bug.

fuel hose on the carburetor and fuel pump were 1/4" sae (too big)and about ready to fall off.

Reply to
Mike64Bug