moved to VA

Welcome to Va, Jan.... keep in mind you are not that far from the BugOuts in Manassas. One is coming up on September 5, 2010!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

If you have to be on the east coast, it sounds like you found a perfect place for when the SHTF. Along with this site, I like survivalblog.com

Reply to
Robert

just letting you all know I have moved and arrived in ¤%#( Virginia reasonably safe and sound. If you have a monitor on your computer that can display things smaller than a wart on a gnat's ass, then you can look up Linden, Virginia, zip code 22642 on your map. Deep, deep in the woods. No cellphone coverage. Dirt road that is not wide enough... See More for two cars. Nice big house. Beautiful scenery, lots of green. And big-ass HILLS. With the inevitable valleys in between. Gorgeous. Don't know if I would call these mountains but they are close. Except by your standards, P.J. :D YOU know what mountains look like. Nevertheless, I need to get a 4wd car before the snow comes, or I will be totally stuck in this.... place. And it's a LOOOOONG way anywhere from the house. Oh yea the first morning I woke up and looked out the window to see a bear walk on our front yard. He spent a good while there, probably examining the turds left behind by "our" two new dogs. The ones they didn't choose to leave inside the house. I think we are looking at 50/50 ratio now, with outside/inside turds. About to explode or collapse due to physical and emotional strain. Need sleep. The kids love this place it seems. Lots of room to play, new stuff to see.

Reply to
Jan

Hmm... that's the second positive thing I have found in this whole thing. The first is the nature and scenery. Of course, I have no money and no bug to take there :)

Reply to
Jan

Hey Jan, would you please leave a reply to this eariler post,

stuck in first -- what do you think?

Reply to
Jim Ed

Good to hear from you, Jan. You've been having a crappy time of it lately, and I'm happy to hear you're coming out the other end in beautiful place. Remember what I said about "Tough Times never last"... 8=)

Reply to
kaferdave

Yup. I'm looking at some job prospects now, I may have something promising lined up for next week. But I'm aiming higher. :D

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Actually that place you moved to sounds right up my alley. Time to make your own still? :-) 4WD? You just need a baja! :-) Good luck on the job hunt!

Reply to
Shag

well.. if nothing else pops up, I just confirmed another pep boys job yesterday, 30 miles from where I live. Same job, same pay I had in FL. But 30 miles instead of 5. :( and I have to work weekends. They'd give me 2 days off back to back during the week though.

Saw the same (?) bear again on our yard the other day, like 2pm. Our landlord was here fixing the washer hookup, he went to his car to get his 9mm Glock and fired a couple of rounds in the woods, where the bear ran off to. I doubt he hit him.

Then the next morning a deer walked across our yard. And more little bunnies too. It's a friggin zoo here.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Sounds great to me. Shooting a bear with a 9mm tends to piss them off. If it gets to be a problem, call the state wildlife boys out to have it removed.

Reply to
Randy

What an utterly stupid thing to do. No target - no shoot. Hell, by some remote chance someone could be out there. And the 9mm is just a toy intended for two-legged targets.

Reply to
John Stafford

I agree. Shooting a 9mm at a BEAR??? And at a bear you can't even see? What a 'tard.

Reply to
Shag

I've used my 9 to scare a bear off before but I sure didn't shoot at it, just close by. I also knew exactly where the bear was, about 90 ft in front of me standing at my fence and he was PO'd to say the least. He had alread touched the fence and got about a 10K volt shock and he didn't like it a bit. The 9 ran him off far enough for me to run like hell and get out of there. I was running 1 way, my dogs headed for the bear and the bear headed back for the woods.

Reply to
Randy

Randy, were your pyrenees involved? There was a great video of three Great Pyrenees taking on a brown bear (Grizzly!). They each took turns harassing him with bites to the legs and ass. He couldn't touch any of them. Eventually, he ran away - fast. They work great in teams.

Reply to
John Stafford

Yep, and they did exactly as you mentioned. That's the 2nd time they have save my butt from a bear.

Reply to
Randy