My 1956 Beetle roars to life!!!

Back in 2003 I bought a 1956 Bug with the original engine for $200 (mentioned in a post awhile back - thought it was a '57 at first). Mostly complete, straight, and some surface rust here and there. Original blue paint painted over with an old, bad light grey paint job, but otherwise seems to have most original parts including bumpers, steering wheel, 'W' decklid, fenders and snowflake taillights. All glass there and good, but interior pretty much shot. Missing headliner and back seat. Pan looks great underneath. It had been sitting since probably 1987 based on the inspection sticker in the window.

Here's what I did:

  1. Cleaned out the engine compartment (and interior) of as much dirt and cobwebs as I could
  2. Replaced the sparkplugs and changed the oil
  3. Disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the carb, and put some gas down in the bowl. It was full of varnishy goo before the cleaning, but looked good afterword.
  4. Adjusted the valves
  5. Installed a fresh battery
  6. Ran the line out of the fuel pump into a jug, to catch any goo, then cranked the engine over. A little goo came out, but not much, then the flow stopped.
  7. Got the fire extinguisher ready, just in case, then hotwired it (I don't have a key).

It fired right up and idled nicely. No smoking, clattering or wierd noises. I wonder now if the tranny's bad, and that's why it was parked in the first place. That or an inept or disinterested owner. Either way, I'm sure excited to have it sort of running, and am ready now to dive into getting the fuel lines cleaned/replaced, the gas tank cleaned out, brakes, ignition tune up parts, new tires, etc etc. This is an addictive hobby.

I just wanted to share that success - I'm pretty pumped by the fact that it actually runs and idles.

Reply to
Rhino72

Well done dude !!

Keep doing - keep sharing with us :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Way to go!! I wanted to find a '56 Type 1 for sale and probably will some day.

Sounds like you have a good project Rh> Back in 2003 I bought a 1956 Bug with the original engine for $200

Reply to
one out of many daves

Reply to
Shag

"Life" is good. :o)

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Congratulations!!! $200 is a very nice price. Do you have pictures of it?

Jo=E3o

Rhino72 escreveu:

Reply to
joao_eliseu

It's been a while since I've thought about the LCB. You need another one.

Reply to
Neil