My 1978 VW camper caught fire

Hello all,

Earlier this summer, my 1978 VW camper (standard transmission) caught fire. Luckily the fire did not go for very long and the damage is limited to the engine compartment. Since this means that the engine is going to need lots of work, I've been contemplating the idea of converting the van to a newer, Jetta engine - I've heard that this would greatly increase the power and make it easier to repair the van in the long term. Rumour has it that there is a company in Quebec that would do this conversion (I'm located near the Quebec/Ontario border)

- does anyone know anything about any companies in that area that do this kind of work? More generally, does anyone have any experience with such a conversion? What are the pros and cons? The total cost?

Cheers! meg

Reply to
Meg Enright

Meg, while I can't help you with specifics or prices, there are many pros and cons to adapting in a modern engine into an old car... the biggest con is originality... biggest pro would be that you have a more modern engine... but that also comes with it's own share of cons... if you get over to

there is a section dedicated to such things... conversion perversions is the forum...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Impossible. You speak English.

Kee-beck rules.

Reply to
John Stafford

Sorry to hear about the fire

I have done this conversionon a few vanagons and is was a noticable increase in power.

There is a member on

tha has a 1.8lt GTI engine in his 78 bus you might also want to try there.

If you have a donor golf/jetta the only other thing you will need as a kennedy adaptor and a Vanagon diesel oil pan ( this way you can put angle the engine so its under the rear accsess hatch)

you will also need to install a radiator theres a few choices but you will have to cut the rear hatch.

Hope this helps

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Bad luck with the fire.

I had someone call me here about repairing their VW Bus. It was the rare 4 wheel drive one with automatic that also had a Subaru engine in it. They bought it used already converted and were travelling around the country in it, or at least from the East Coast to the Mid-West.

I sent them to one place that did some work on it (brakes maybe), but the other work needed (trans maybe) NO ONE wanted to touch it. She even called the dealer and they were fresh out of 10-foot poles. ;-)

So I vote you keep it more VW than anything else, and if you can retrofit other Vanagon parts in it so that others can have some idea what is going on will help you in the long run. Maybe you can find a wrecked one that has all that you need to do the conversion to an Inline 4 cylinder! Not sure if you want to install the VR6 engine in it.

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

sorry thought I had other picturs loaded but will take more if your interested.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys