My 72 SB lives again! Now the gen light is acting up.

Thanks to Chris (Halatos) for the great guide on adjusting valves. I always forget how sensative these little buggers are...one valve was really loose, some were loose by a bit and a couple were too tight. Makes for a crappy running little car for sure. Runs strong now!

Now since I reinstalled the engine, the gen light acts odd. Normally, the light comes on when switched on, then goes out when it starts/runs. Well, now it's doing the opposite. It's off when the car is switched on, then comes on when it starts/runs.

Did I hook up the generator backwards?

Mitch :)

Reply to
barnhart_pinball

According to the bentley, DF should be a black wire hooked to the DF terminal at the regulator, and D+ at the generator should be a red/ black wire hooked to D+ at the regulator. In addition, D-, the smaller brown wire needs to be hooked to regulator ground. There may also be another smaller lead present at either end of the D+ lead for the diagnostic connector on the firewall. It looks like Pin 6 and Pin 14 of the diag connector are hooked to the D+ lead.

If your wiring has been replaced with a non-standard color and you are not certain that it is wired correctly, I would suggest first pulling the battery out of the circuit, then disconnect both ends of D+ and DF (i.e. pull the leads off at the regulator and the generator), and then ground ONE side, either D+ or DF inside the car and then use your meter to see which wire has continuity to ground at the end of the wires in the engine bay. At least that way you will know for certain which wire is going where, and that the wire is intact.

As for 'will hooking the wires up backwards cause my symptoms', I do not know. Could be backwards, could be a broken wire for all we know....

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Wiring like so:

Do the generator tests shown on my web site:

Is it possible that you have an alternator, not a generator?

Was the battery removed? Check that it is installed with correct polarity: Neg post grounded.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim wrote in news:GWdqk.10472$L snipped-for-privacy@flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

It's the old generator, although if the gen has bit it - then I'm converting to an alternator. The battery just had the + post disconnected so I didn't flip them.

I checked the wiring according to your diagram - I have that right. So, I'll try your tests later this week. The gen is of unknown vintage, so it could be shot. Wouldn't surprise me. I'll record my findings later.

Shame as I have the SB really running good now...

Reply to
barnhart_pinball

I just read this for the second or third time and realized what you are saying here. According to the Muir book, "if the red light should ever stay on when the ignition key has been shut off, then action is indicated right now!". He goes on to warn that continuing to drive the car will make your generator act like a motor and effectively destroy your battery. This problem (so he says) is cause by a "generator being shot". But then if this worked fine before being pulled, and doesn't work at all after reinstalling it -- it's more than likely an electrical "oopsie" (otherwise known as "a Homer"). I suppose because the generator becomes polarized, that your polarity might be reversed from the wiring having been confused at some point. It only takes a few seconds, right?

Of course, I consider Speedy Jim here are the "second incarnation" or the "living Muir" so I would be sure to do whatever he recommends on this one. ;-)

-Steve Ballantyne

68' Bug
Reply to
steve.ballantyne