My favorite rusty bolt (What's yours?)

I never thought about it last night, but after an incredible struggle I thought it would be fun to hear your stories about the most satisfying bolt you've ever managed to remove without stripping or breaking it. Here's mine...

Last night I was working on the humble beginnings of a long restoration on a 67 T1 that is absolutely complete and straight but was left in a field in Portland, Oregon for years, presumably after the tranny bought it. I am starting to strip the body for an off the pan restoration, and last night I was removing the running boards. Incredibly, the heater channels are rust-free and solid although the pans themselves are paper-thin in places. This is good news. I got all the 10mm bolts out from the sides with my bare hands and a little PB Blaster.

Then I got a look at the 12mm nut and bolt at the end of the line (the one that attaches to the fender), and it looks like one of those nuts that holds a dock together for fifty years in the Bay. It was that really dark rust, you know the brown color that looks like it's angry with you. Not weak or ready to break, just frozen. I winked at my air compressor and went to get my air ratchet.

Those of you who've done this, you know that it's kinda hard to get at the bolt inside the fender in the first place, but you probably also know that if that sucker is stuck, it will turn the nut in back and you have to find some way to get a solid grip on both nut and bolt at once. In a nutshell, I managed to get a spanner to hold the nut up against the body whilst working on the bolt head with various devices. The air ratchet, which barely fit beneath the fender at the proper angle, didn't do a thing. In fact, it just hissed without turning. I used enough Blaster to cook a turkey with. I used the mallet and wrench trick. I used heat and holy water and Marvel Mystery Oil. It didn't turn at all.

I remembered some guy long ago telling me that if a nut and bolt rust together long enough, they become as one and you simply can't turn them. I considered just cutting the bolt off with a disc (like I should have in the first place) and was just about give in when I gave it one last tug with all my strength.

It moved like two degrees, I thought. I couldn't be sure, so I tugged again. Two more degrees. I had already been working on this one bolt for a half an hour, so I went ahead and put my back into it.

An hour later (I'm not kidding), after a couple beers and turning that bolt a few degrees at a time, it came off clean. Not broken. Not cut.

A waste of time? Sure. But I'm gonna keep that little bolt on the workbench as a reminder next time I feel like taking a shortcut. It won't be going back on the car. -MG

Reply to
Matty G

Exhaust stud bolts. :(

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

I was gonna say the same thing. never-ever-ever-ever-ever-EVER is that fun.

Ya know, I remember working on one once and thinking, someone should patent a way to accelerate the rust. The bond is stronger then that sleeve and bearing retainer loctite stuff..

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

Know what you mean, even as newbie. Those things are quite the challenge.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Been years since I did it so I don't really remember if it was a nut or a bolt, but I had to replace the master cylinder on my '73 Super. The firewall and floorboards in that area were mostly rust and mud and it was about 95 degrees outside in the shade. It took the better part of an hour with a pair of vice grips after the head of the bolt (or the nut...whichever it was) was rounded off. Sweating like crazy, dirty, cussing, knuckles all busted up... I finally got it all out and cleaned up and replaced the master cylinder. No net improvement to my brakes as a result. :-( But I got the damn thing replaced... Oh, crap. You said without stripping it. Oh well, at least I didn't break anything except the skin in my knuckles in several places.

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

You can get those things off without breaking the studs in the heads????????

LOL a few too many times for me...

Reply to
VWGirl

the worst is.....

the two 17mm bolts at the front of the heater channel that go into the front firewall.... squeaked and squeeled all the way out the threads were all gone for the most part but they came out in one piece...

so i came up with a solution when replacing the heater channels... a couple pieces of 3/8" all thread welded to a piece of 1/4" flat stock sticking down through the holes and i put 3/8" nuts on.... that way "IF" i have to take them off again and they are rusted... i can split the nuts and the body comes right off...

Reply to
dragenwagen

Can't speak for others, but in my case I'm sure it was pure dumb luck.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

.....very damn near every time. =-)) I soak em with blaster....heat em..hit em with blaster again and use a 6 point box end wrench...which I tap lioghtly with a really small hammer to jar em free. If they don't move with the little hammer and light taps, I grab the chisel and split em off then clean the threads up. Broken studs are the result of not admitting to yourself that "it ain't gonna go" and forcing the issue. =-)

...gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

....DAMN!!! Remind me never to piss you off... I usually haver to resort to using a wrench ;-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

When I saw you taking them out you just accidentally spilled some of your Elija Craig on them, cussed some, then put a set of vice grips on them and started yelling. I guess you were having an "off day." :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

...damn straight...any day with spilt bourbon is definately an "off day" =-)))

..>Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I usually just break them off and then pull the engine and replace the head... of course i am running out of heads to do this with as single port heads are becoming SCARCE... EVERY bolt I take off anymore is presoaked in PB Blaster.... i learned that a LONG time ago... Althought those friggin axle nuts have seem to have grown a tolerance to PB Blaster... I guess rust is kinda like cockroaches... its always been there and always will be... no matter how hard we try to stop it!

Reply to
VWGirl

HMMMMM INTERESTING PROBLEM , I SUGGEST YOU FIND YERSELF A TRUSTWORTHY AND COMPETENT MECHANIC, IF THAT DOESNT WORK, I SUGGEST YOU INSURE THE CAR FOR TWICE ITS REAL VALUE AND ARRANGE FOR A COMPETENT AND TRUSTWORTHY CAR THIEF TO ARRANGE THE THEFT OF YOUR VEHICLE AND THE SUBSEQUENT ARSON OF SAME. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME SIR.

Reply to
the poster formerly known as e

and how does this guy respond to our messages if he doesnt see them in the first place??? I thought that if you killfiled someone then you dont see their posts??? I know a guy that breaks bones for a living... we could send him out to this guys house... he'd probably do it for free if we just paid his way there and back...

Reply to
VWGirl

YOU SLIPPED THROUGH MY KILLFILE FILTER MISSY, YOU HAVE A VERY AGRESSIVE TONE OF VOICE, DO YOU HAVE TATOO'S, CHEW TOBACCY AND LOUNGE AROUND IN A BOILER SUIT, ANOTHER INGRATE WHO DOESNT APPRECIATE MY PRUDENT AND COMMON SENSE ADVICE, YOU MAY KNOW A PERSON THAT BREAKS BONES BUT I KNOW A PERSON THAT WILL "WHOOP YO UPSIDE THE HEAD WITH A SLINGBLADE MMMMHHHHMMMMM! BE CAREFUL. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME SIR.

Reply to
the poster formerly known as e

I think I have a better then 50% chance of getting the 6mm machine screw that holds the vent frames on a convertable to comeout without breaking. I can't think of any worse one to break then that one.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

And all you have to pay him for the service is some biscuits with mustard? :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

what's with the "thank you for your time sir" at the end of all his/her posts???

Reply to
VWGirl

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 06:51:27 -0400, Shaggie ran around screaming and yelling:

"i like the way he talks, and he likes the way i talk, uh-huh" JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani