My new long term project is here

Well, my "new" long term project has arrived. Actually, it's been here for about a month. Right after it got here, winter finally arrived so I haven't had a chance to look it over much. It's an "early" '55 Beetle. It needs pretty much ALL of those highly sought after "55 only" parts which will make it a somewhat ambitious...uhhh ...expensive...project. I'm not looking to make this a 100 point show car so I'll probably live with some compromises. The back of the car had been hit and repaired consequently it no longer has its W decklid, "H" apron and '55 only taillights. Ouch. On the good side, the car is amazingly rust free. The pan is really clean and solid as are the heater channels. Not a flake of rust anywhere. All four fenders are beat up and I'm not sure how restorable a couple of them might be. All of the chrome is shot, door handles, hub caps, vent window frames, etc. The front axle is bent, the trunk lid has been hit on the handle in typical VW fashion. (more metal work) I guess I'm going to have to practice up on sheet metal welding and hammer and dolly work. I have already found and purchased a correct '50-'54 W decklid and a set of '55 only taillights.

If anyone would like to help out, the next items on my "need to find" list are a correct rear "H" apron and rear dimpled/beaded fenders.

One curious note. The car is white which is not a '54/'55 color. The original Polar Silver shows through in spots but this car was, at some point, completely disassembled and painted white. And I do mean completely.

Wish me luck and I'll be posting pics as the work progresses. (slowly...)

--

>>Mike

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

You are very lucky, indeed, and best of luck. These Beetles are getting so rare, that we rarely hear of one. 1955 was a very good year.

Randall Brink, d/o/b 1955

Reply to
Randall Brink

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Sheeeeit. That's a daily driver / trail bruiser after $500 worth of tires, a good battery, a few sawsall blades, and a come-a-long. You go, dude!!!!1!!!one!!!!

Reply to
Shag

The engine in it is from a '59 and it surprisingly runs quite strong. I suspect it will at least need some minor rebuilding. I haven't checked the compression yet. It runs as well as my '64 which is in need of a rebuild also. It even drives pretty well (straight) even though the front axle is bent back about and inch on the drive side.

I think I'll pass on the sawzall and knobby tires for now. Besides, a large part of the ramva crowd would have me castrated. :o)

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

"Mike64Bug" wrote in news:t6TPd.12141 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Mike, that's a beauty! Good luck with her.

Reply to
cloud8