my stereo head unit install...pics

well..first the alternator....

from the front

from the rear

in the car

next, to wire everything up and find places for the speakers.....

Reply to
GusDaDog

Good one, a friendly little comment on something else though.

The low profile aircleaner does you no good what so ever! It is restrictive, forces the fuel standoff down into the carb and hence screws with you mixture and overall performance(and yes, I did notice the aftermarket exhaust, still same same.)

J.

Ps. hope you are not running heat exchangers with that exhaust.... :0).

Reply to
P.J.Berg

actually, I haven't had the car long and that is the air cleaner than it came with...I actually want to get one of the louvered style to keep water out...those are taller right?

do you mean heater boxes or heat risers for the intake....beause I have the risers un-blocked but no, no heater boxes, J-pipes.....

Reply to
GusDaDog

Is that a plastic fuel filter between the pump and carb? I smell smoke.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

please elaborate......

Reply to
GusDaDog

Nice pictures!! That car is a lot cleaner than my Super... my two cents> I would put the gas filter underneath the car (see Shaggie's website or ask lots of people why here), and being nosy - what kind of camera was used, as I'm going to buy an inexpensive digital camera, but want it to be good? btw/ I have a J.C. Whitney 1 and 5/8" one-piece extractor exhaust that exits behind my back right wheel, and with the same air cleaner, a

34pict-3, heater, and an 009, I'm satisfied with the setup as a daily driver...Paul

Reply to
pmbedard

clean? it's not clean IMO but I'm working on it... got it off a curb, running, for $400 last fall....pissed it came with a single port motor though!

yeah....I've heard that before...I should do that...

its a Kodak DC290....I like it!

Is this the exhaust you have?

that is what the car came with, and it's from JC Whitney...but it interfered with me installing my dual tube rear bumper so I swapped to a swap meet 2 piece design...$15......

Reply to
GusDaDog

"GusDaDog" wrote

Read this:

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

If the weight of the filter is allowed to hang from the inlet pipe on the carb, the extra weight, combined with the engine vibration will often pull the inlet pipe right out of the carb body.

This is a common and well known problem.

To avoid it, install the filter so that it's weight is not hanging from the carb. Failure to do so often ends up as an engine fire.

-

Jim Adney

That's almost exactly what I have for an exhaust, but I bet my JC WHIPME is cheaper - the last foot or so was chromed, but I sprayed it w/flat black muffler paint... about the plastic fuel filter - there are thousands of bugs with these, and if your VW gets clogged up from fuel tank rust (as mine does), this is okay 'til you get a new gastank...I check it every other day for particles, and can switch off with a new one in 5 mins...good idea to keep a few in the car... I HAVE seen 2 burned (totally) beetles parked this year. I carry a fire extinguisher in the passenger footwell, and have a clamp on the hose where it meets the carb (but not torqued down like crazy)... the one thing I DETEST about not having the stock air cleaner - I have stalling/warmup problems below 30*F in winter....it seems like no amount of fiddling with the choke, etc. helps.... cleaning the foam element in a pan of gas (outside) is another good idea....

Reply to
pmbedard

On 5 Jul 2004 11:57:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (pmbedard) ran around screaming and yelling:

that clamped hose will still be attatched to the brass tube when it pulls from the carb body...not worth it...also the *quality* of those little plastic cheapies can be a problem...the 68 sedan i have now has some major "paint removed" from the rear decklid and the vents above it from one of those plastic cheapies rupturing within a few minutes of being installed(by previous owner)....not worth it...if rust *IN* the fuel tank is the problem a filter should be placed close to the tank to catch these particles before they cause a clog in the fuel line further downstream....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I don't have any rust coming up from the tank....that filter was there when I got the car...... all I've done to it thus far is a stereo, alternator, oil change, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, rear cage and front T-bars

Reply to
GusDaDog

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 00:53:54 GMT, "GusDaDog" ran around screaming and yelling:

Gus, my reply was to paul....but you should still move the filter...heh...i can post you a very mild pic tomorrow of what one did to my car before i bought it....they guy i bought it from was a mechanic and had been driving/working on vw's all his life(approx

50-55 years old at that point) he was one of those that didn't think it was a problem to put those filters in...he had *always* done it...ask him to do it today...he will tell you NO...his fire did not come from the fitting pulling from the carb, but from the filter splitting under pressure....the stock fuel pump he had on is no high pressure producer so that should tell you the quality(quality control?) that are these cheapie filters...BUT as a very well repsected member of this group and the vw industry says "you are the mechanic in charge"... JT
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

always tired, but have to respond about the plastic fuel filter>>

I'm too lazy, sick, and old to go crawling under my car every day to look at fuel filters... I do think that German fabric hose is a MUST in the entire area...sure, I'm taking a chance by not doing the right thing, but I've had a negative attitude about my VW for a couple of years now... it's too ugly to sell for more than a couple of hundred bucks, and too valuable (to me)...I can't wait to get a Maaco paint job and get rid of it...sorry... I feel that my Super is pretty unsafe anyhow, and it usually breaks down 20 miles from my house, so I'll take this chance...

haven't finished reading this thread, but has anyone told this guy that SINGLE PORT ENGINES ARE PERFECTLY FINE!!! (?)...

Reply to
pmbedard

...every day?? ::scratches head:: If your tank is clean and the screen is in it and clean you should never have to crawl under and look at your filter....just crawl under it at whatever maintenance interval suits yer fancy and changer it out...I try and do it at least once or twice a year ;) always pretty clean,.,,though since I bought a nerw tank and screen and only rin premium gas from a reputable station....it damn well should be =-)))

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 08:30:29 -0400, Gary Tateosian scribbled this interesting note:

A year or so ago we were having problems we thought were fuel supply related in the 1965 Ford F-700 we run. We emptied removed the tank in order to inspect it inside. That was the first time that tank had ever been removed. How do we know that? Easy, we've owned the truck since it was nearly new!:~) The tank was nice and shiny clean inside. Just as it ought to be for a vehicle that runs often and gets good fuel from good stations.

The problem turned out to be carburetor related. I'm still searching for a Holley 2300-G, and it must be set up for a governor on the distributor. These are hard to find!:~(

John Willis

On 7 Jul 2004 23:07:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (pmbedard) ran around screaming and yelling:

i wasn't trying to offend you, just poiting out what i have experienced/seen....it is *your* car and you can do as you wish...braided hose will do nothing for a ruptured cheapie filter or for a pulled fitting(from carb *OR* fuel pump)....but remember a two dollar "filter" can cost you your life....not a worthwile gamble to

*me*...your views may differ...its okay.. JT
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

sorry to side with joey, but this is exactly how my car caught fire. My fitting pulled from the carb with fuel inlet attached. Mechanical pump was still pumping fuel as motor was still turning until fuel bowl ran out of gas..and shorted out on coil.. a BAMN we have ignition..including that plastic fuel filter. But hey what the hell do I know, i just had a burned up bug..but quick thinking and a water hose..that was easily cured.

my .02

Jeremie

1972 SB
VdubBeetle1972

On 08 Jul 2004 22:52:45 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (VdubBeetle1972) ran around screaming and yelling:

HEY NOW>...sometimes I give good advice...that is when im not giving a good steady stream of flames.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani