Need advice: droning, humming noise from front (40 MPH)

Symptoms: After a out of town mechanic (I was on a trip) replaced the right front tie rod approx. 300 miles ago, started getting droning (sounds like high speed rubbing or vibration, but *not* a high pitched squeaking noise) at 40 MPH plus. On a level road, car is quiet if steering straight ahead, or turning left, but if I turn the steering wheel just 1" to the right, it sets up a persistent droning noise. If I return the steering wheel to the straight ahead position, the noise stops. Have done the following but droning continues:

  1. Jacked up car to check for any rubbing when wheels and tires are turned to the right.
  2. Replaced both left and right front wheel bearings.

Any ideas or opinions as to what I should do next? Something to do with tie rods? CV joints? Can't seem to problem solve this one - would appreciate help. TIA

Reply to
Emily Steed

My guess would have been #2 . wheel bearings.

Have you jacked up and wobbled the wheels to see if all your bearings and bushings are good and tight (not too tight ! ) and show no movement ? Rich

Emily Steed wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Speedometer cable and related to the Speedometer. It sounds like it's coming from the driver's side front?

-tom

Reply to
Tom Nakashima

*********** Droning comes from front (cannot easily determine if driver or passenger side). Twitching the steering wheel about an inch to the right starts the droning, so may not be speedometer related. other ideas? Thank you.
Reply to
Emily Steed

What year/model of vehicle is this one?

Super?