Need help verifying part no. on VW Type 4 head

Greetings,

Some time ago, on ebay, I bought a pair of NOS type 4 heads. The part no. is 211 101 351A.

It is my limited understanding that the early 411 Volksies, although they had a type 4 engine, used a different head from the early 70s buses, which, in turn were different from the heads on the early Vanagons, and all of which, were different from the heads used in Porsches.

I now need a set of heads for a 1700CC type 4 engine that I'm using in a baja bug.

Can anybody shed any light on this part number? I would especially like to know what specific engine this part no. (211 101

351A)corresponds to.

Thanks!

Vernon

Reply to
vtuck

Where does this 211 101 351A number appear? VW type4 heads don't start with 211 anywhere. What is the casting number between the valves? Compare that number to these numbers:

The 'notes' for the 1700 heads are misleading. The air passages going into the head thru to the exhaust port are for Air Injection, not EGR. EGR is exhaust gas that enters the intake thru an EGR valve. Air injection is fresh air pulsed or pumped into the exhaust.

The casting numbers are different than the VW part numbers. The part numbers listed on ETKA are:

022 101 351C and fit ED from 000 639 [bus engine 1.8] EC, AN, and AT from 000 001 [411-412]

022 101 351L GD 000 001 to 055 800 [bus 2.0, 76-77] GE 000 001 to 039 331 [bus 2.0, 78 and maybe early 79 with oval ports]

and from an old parts book:

021 101 351J CB engine 66 HP, that would be the 1972 1.7 bus engine.

Reply to
Karl

Well, I think I've solved the mystery of my "Type 4" heads.

I found an Italian VW Club page. It appears that pn# 211-101-351A corresponds to the transporter from 62 through 65 when they had a 1300 CC Type one single port cylinder head.

Therefore, assuming this is true, the question becomes "What to do with these heads?" I have a new type 1 Brazilian case I never used. Maybe I'll build a mild type 1 engine using these heads. I've actually always preferred single port heads because they run so much cooler.

Anybody built a type 1 1300 engine lately?

Vernon

Reply to
vtuck

You mean to say you do not know the obvious visual difference between a T1 head and a T4 head??

T1 exhaust exits fore and aft, T4 exhaust exits through bottom between pushrod tubes.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

P.J.

Well, yes. And no. I bought these heads over a year ago. At this point I'm not even sure why I thought they were T4 heads. That's just what I seemed to remember. I didn't even OPEN THE BOX until yesterday.

Prior to this latest walk down aircooled lane, except for when I bought the heads on ebay last year, I had not even thought about a T1 or T4 aircooled head in nearly seven years. I'm only thinking about 'em now because my older son just got his driver's license and is suddenly interested in my old abandoned baja project into which I installed a T4

1700 from a '73 bus.

Perhaps you won't understand this. But as you get older your brain power starts to go. What's left of it you tend to use on stuff like how to get your kids through college and make sure your wife's cared for, rather than retaining esoteric differences between a T1 and T4 head. After all, that's what I've got the internet for!

So, back to the matter at hand. Will a Brazilian "universal" AS21 engine case and Gene Berg counterweighted crankshaft take a 1300 cylinder/piston set along with these heads?

Enquirin' bird-brains wanna know.

VT

Reply to
vtuck

Hmmm, talking about brain power, if I recall correctly from my daze as a VW parts man, (back in the days when H2O was new to VW) 9 digit part #,........1st 3 #'s vehicle type, (111, 211, etc.) 2nd 3 #'s component area (100's engine, 200's tranny, etc.), last 3 #'s part number (941A, 325B, etc...). FWIW

Back to lurking, have fun y'all

JnB

66 Beetle, still in primer
Reply to
JnB

JnB,

Well, dude. Stop lurking! Let's see.... What was I gonna say??

Oh yeah! We old geezers with diminished brain power need to identify each other and stand together!

And by the way, you are correct. The first three digits are for "type". Bug stuff starts with "111". Transporters, "211". Etc., ad nauseum.

vtuck