need to measure valve/piston clearance?

Hi,

I'm building up a 1776 engine. This is my first experience bulding up a non-stock motor. The cam that I've selected has a lift at the cam of .380 and a lift with 1.1 rocker arms of .417. The heads were stock before being bored out for the 90.5 cylinders, and I've checked my deck height to be 0.057.

My question is -- do I need to verify the valve to piston clearance with this setup? My book describes a process involving putting modeling clay on top of the piston, assembling a head and turning it over. I'd rather avoid the exercise if this combination of parts is well outside of the danger zone...

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I would be inclined to do the clay/putty test anyway. Takes minutes. You don't need to torque anything, just bolt on loosely. Don't even need pushrod tubes...

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim