Need to sell my (flooded) '79 SuperBeetle.

*sigh* My house got flooded. 5' 1/2 ft. worth. This, sadly, included several vehicles. Most of them I didn't much care about, but my Beetle I'm sad about. Unfortunately, I've got a -lot- of flood- related things on my plate to deal with right now, and simply won't have the time to deal with the Bug. So, a question:

'79 Super Beetle convertible. Good condition prior to flood (e.g., engine rebuilt two years ago, clutch okay, etc.). Water came up to just shy of the roof. What should I sell it for? I've had several people express interest, but I don't even know where to start money- wise.

Thanks!

-Ken

Reply to
ken

Where is it?

100% rust-free body?

Fuel injected engine?

Those are things buyers will want to know.

The engine may need stripping down. Might be salvageable though.. Electrical equipment will be a goner.

Tranny, wheel bearings, brakes need immediate attention.

All the interior/upholstery probably has to be redone- mold.

Could be worth from $1K to $5K as a wild ass guess.

I feel your pain and hope you can make some headway with all you have to deal with.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to respond! Here are the answers to your questions...

It's in New Hampshire, though it came from California.

Yes, though there was a smidge of touch-up work on the hood.

Yes.

As for your "WAG" (wild-assed guess), thanks. I'll aim for $2K, and see what happens.

-Ken

Reply to
ken

yeah trust me I know about flooded vw's!!! if it was fresh water... it should fair better than mine did under SALT water from Katrina!!!!!!!

I KNOW what salt water will do to a transaxle... and well and engine block for that matter!

seriously... drain the transaxle and engine RIGHT away!! and fill with fresh oil/gear lube if not the magnesium will start to corrode and your drive line will rot away from the inside out. and the damage will be done and you wont even see it until it eats a hole right through.

for the rest of the car open it up and let it air out and dry...

Reply to
dragenwagen

Sorry to hear about this Ken. I had dealt with dozens of newer floded car when I first moved to NC right after hurrican Fran rolled thru. I think it would be fairly easy to fix the problems that flooding would do to your convertable, so I wouldn't think you would want to sell to cheap. Truly if you were close to this area I would fix it for free. if you could find a way to get it to me the offer stands. If you need to sell and can send me pictures I have people looking for verts.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys