New Empi Pulley Troubles - Help Please!

Hi! I recently bought an Empi hard black anodized laser engraved stock size crank pulley.

And now, when I go to turn the engine by hand, it is really hard to turn. Earlier tonight, I removed it and replaced it with the pulley I was using, a 14 year old Scat pulley.

The engine turns freely by hand like it used to before I installed the Empi pulley.

The instructions that came with the Empi pulley said machine work may be required.

It doesn't make any rubbing noises when I turn the crank pulley nut. I noticed that the bore on the Empi pulley is just a little shorter than the bore on the pulley I was using.

The outside of the bore on the Empi pulley, where the screw threads are, looks like they have been rubbing.

I thought I might sand the outside of the bore lightly with some extra fine sand paper to get the black paint off but not enough to damage the screw threads, and then try it again.

Today I installed the fan housing and put on the fan belt.

It was still hard to turn.

Does that mean I need to get a crank pulley shim kit?

So, I was wondering if you might be able to give me any tips on this one?

Thanks! Sleepy Joe '73 VW Beetle

1600cc DP Type I
Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel

The "snub" where the threads are, is either too short, or the collar immediately next to it before the pulley "begins" is too thick and needs to be machined down. Not sire if the pulley would line up with any gen/alt pulley even if you did manage to fit it. It is now eating away your CASE, you should see where it's rubbing.. along the rim of the crank hole.

Junk it and use a stock pulley or something that actually fits. Buy one from aircooled.net and save yourself the risk and guesswork.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hi All! I think I will an idea I got from watching American Choppers/ Orange County Choppers.

They had one of their parts powder coated and when they tried to install it the powder coating interfered with assembly.

I think I will try removing the paint with a brass wire brush on the outside of the bore where the screw threads are.

If that does not work I may try brushing on paint remover or lightly sanding with fine emery cloth or sand paper

I am going to be careful not to sand the threads down.

Sleepy Joe '73 VW Beetle

The instructions that came with the Empi pulley said machine work may

Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel

.............You've purchased a good lesson on why many of us avoid these parts that aren't properly manufactured. Throw it away and get a quality pulley from Aircooled.Net or some other reputable supplier who wouldn't ever sell a POS part like that.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hey! I got it to fit today

You can keep your pesamistic negative comments to yourself.

All I had to do was scrape the paint off with a razor knife and shine it up with sandpaper.

Fits like a glove.

The engine turns by hand really easily.

I have no complaints.

I am totally satisfied and that is all that matters to me.

Scat pulleys also require some machine work to the case and of trimming the pulley tin to get them to fit.

And by-the-way, aircooled.net/ sells the same part for about $16.00 U.S. dollars more.

I got it and free shipping on at least a $50.00 order from Cip1.com.

Here it is at aircooled.net/.

EMPI Hard-Anodized Black Crankshaft Pulley, Sand Seal and Regular Part #: ESM0044 $55.00 Hard anodized black pulley with laser etched #s! Stock size for maximum cool> snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel

.................I feel foolish not knowing that EMPI made a pulley that was good enough to be sold by Aircooled.Net. I need to be more careful about thinking that I know things that I don't really know. You're right about his attitude though.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

why would you do that? that pretty much makes all my posts un-quotable.

John too, will sell items made by companies known to sometimes have crap....its business...the big difference between John and other vendors is, if there is a problem, such as paint too thick or machined wrong, John will pull them off the shelf....he did the same with a big shipment of carbureters about two years ago, if i recall correctly. That is why it may cost you ten bucks more from John than the "discount" vendors, but its worth it to have someone that is customer oriented instead of money driven...i don't think the loosenut can wrap his braincell around something that complicated...especially after admitting he couldn't figure out that his pulley was rubbing...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Are any Empi products any good?

Reply to