New motor questions

I recently had a brand new zero mile 1600DP installed in my bug and I have few questions.

The mechanic told me that when the motor clocks 500 miles to change the oil and adjust the valves. No problem with doing that however...

I took a look under the motor yesterday and there's no drain plug on the oil plate which seems odd. My old motor had a drain plug, the new motor does not. How are you supposed to drain the oil? Is there some other way? Just unbolting the oil plate is going to be messy.

The new motor has a PICT34 carb. The old carb was PICT 30/31 If I floor the gas pedal there is now a slight hesitation. Is that common? Is there something that can be done about it?

I'm getting conflicting advice on what oil to use.

15W40? 20W50? Which is best? I live in a fairly moderate climate here in the NW where the temp seldom dips below freezing.

Thanks for any advice,

--griff '67 Beetle Convertible

Reply to
griff

The plate is like that to force people to clean the screen every oil change. You can buy the other type of plate and replace it for cleaner oil changes. I used Rotella 15-40 for the first 10K miles than switched to the synthetic 5-40.

20-50 is commonly reccomended, but is thicker than you need. Running too thick an oil will do nothing good and several things less than desireable.

That said, many people have run 20-50 for years with no problems. Though VW of mexico or brazil wouldn't have put that heavy of an oil in.

Maybe they know something....

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

You can replace the drain plate with one that has a plug, but for the first oil change I would drop the plate and clean the screen. You can buy a new plate here

7 bucks. Get a gasket set too, you'll need it.

Yes, if you have a -009 distributor(or one of the new copies of the

009) buy a vacuum advance distributor.

You also need to ensure that you have a warm air supply to the carburetor and that the pre-heat tubes on the intake manifold are clear. If they aren't hot enough to scald you on both ends there is a restriction that needs to be taken care of. You will also want to check the jetting and accelerator pump discharge to make sure the carburetor is working normally. Assuming everything else with your engine is in place and working, with a clean 34pict-3 and the correct distributor there will be NO hesitation whatsoever.

Colder weather would be justification for running a light grade oil to me. 10w-30 in the cooler months, perhaps a little heavier in the summer depending on how hot it gets.

Chris

Reply to
halatos