New plates by mail in Texas?

I'm not sure if John or Steve still read this forum but in case they or other Texans do I have a question about my license plates. I got my renewal notice in the mail and it says I'm due for new plates and that I can get them in person or by mail. My question is how do I go about getting them by mail. I could just mail in the form but there's no provision for paying extra for the shipping of the plates. I went online to see if the site where you can renew your registration online had something, but I see nothing there. Anyone know about doing it through the mail? Just trying to save the hassle of waiting in line at the tax office next month.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Hi, There is no extra cost, I just got mine for my old Mazda truck. It doesn't cost the state much in postage.

LLB in Laredo

Reply to
LLBrown

Yikes, I am replying to my own note! Someone wrote to remind me there is an extra charge. If you mail in they charge you a buck... all mail ins get that extra charge, but there is no extra for sending new plates.

LLB

Reply to
LLBrown

That's interesting. Thanks for replying and the email. I guess I'll just mail it in the form. Kinda strange that the new plates are flat and without the embossed letters like before.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I got a new plate for my Beetle last month. I live in Oklahoma. It is also a flat plate. I looked closer and it looks like a lazer printed decal put on the plate and not painted on as before. It is nice looking though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ =A0Kinda strange that the new plates are flat and

Reply to
Jim347a

Michael,

Texas only issues flat reflectorized plates for specialty use (handicap, disabled vets, personalized, affinity [schools and cases], classic/antique).

New passenger plates are still embossed. Currently, they're issuing 3- letter/3-number combinations (XXX-000), which will make it tough for someone who didn't already have YOM (year-of-manufacture) tags to get a new set approved.

Jim in Amarillo

Image66Amarillo

Michael, If you are interested in correct year of make plates, I can get you in touch with John Willis' father, who has undoubtedly, the largest license plate collection in Texas. He figures just in his garage (last time we discussed it) he has over half a million plates/sets.

Email me at ssterrell2 at verizon dot net if you are interested. Put RAMVA in the subject block.

Reply to
MUADIB

Wow!

Nah, thanks for the offer. I just went online and did it that way and got the plates okay. I was just confused because it seemed like there should be more of a charge for the plates and sticker. If my bug was all fixed up like new, then I'd be interested but it's more of a daily driver than a show piece.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

On Sun, 07 Jun 2009 03:16:00 -0500, Michael Cecil scribbled this interesting note:

It doesn't matter if it is a trailer queen or a road warrior. Year of manufacture plates still look good on any old car.

And yes, I still read RAMVA, but don't post much.

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

great to see you here, Mr. Willis...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I just read a week ago or so that license plates are going to DOUBLE in Florida .. as if this state doesn't beat you up enough. If I keep my 'vanity plates' they will cost about $200 per year !! My bus is keeping hers [ OMIGOSH ] what ever the cost ... UGH .. [ she is worth it I guess ]

Reply to
omigosh