New Radio/CD player in a 1974 Super

A question on installing a new radio into a 1974 Super Beetle. I'm a newbie with stereos (in cars at least) and was wondering what people have to say about new stereos. We're looking for a basic radio/CD player, doesn't need to sound amazing ($$$) but should have a decent sound ($). Do we even need an amplifier? (I'm unsure if indash component has the amp in it). Does anybody know any good websites where I can find out a little bit more? Thanks. I know this is a pretty generic/basic query, but that's how little I know about car stereos.

-John

Reply to
halcyonic88

Whatever you get for the dash- don't be too surprised if it doesn't fit in the existing opening :-(

The "newer" DIN dimensions exceed the opening size by 1/8" or so.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Hmmm...I've been thinking of putting the original radio back into my bug but there is a little plate of plastic that fits into the opening around where the radio goes that I need to find. Anyone know what that part is called?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Not a super, but Standard small non working radio in dash ( houses immobiliser) , head unit in glove box, mounted in fibreglass thingy, 12 cd changer under back seat, and MP3 player in ash tray !

Speakers in box behind rear seat, and soon to have pods by my feet. Not accousticly perfect in any way, but I can hear it.

james

Reply to
Juper Wort

Hi John,

I also have a '74 Super. I did find a radio/cd that fits perfectly without any cutting.

The system sounds great! So it is possible to find someting with a bit of research. Good Luck!

Rich VWbug.com

Reply to
Rich

I have a '73 Super and I have been looking for a new radio. Are there any tricks or modifications needed for installation??

Reply to
Houdsie

Well, there was only one piece there around the radio when I took it out so that's all I need to replace. I don't think "cover" describes it too well but maybe it's a "frame".

Reply to
Michael Cecil

It's hard to tell from the picture in the parts catalog, the "cover" may be what covers the opening if there's no radio installed. Visit your local VW dealer and see if part number 111 035 313 is what you need, that's the number for the "frame".

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

what covers the opening if there's no radio installed.

that's the number for the "frame".

Thanks, I'll try that. Now I just have to get the radio out the attic. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil