New to group - does anyone have info on diesels in Microbus's

Hi all,

I have restored and sold 4 1974 "Things" over the years and just sold the last one about a week ago. The guy I sold this last one to asked an interesting question. He asked if I had ever considered putting one of the diesel engines from a 1978 Bus in a Thing. The only diesels I'm familiar with, from VW, were those that went into Rabbits and Rabbit pickups and the current crop going into the Jettas and Passats. I hadn't heard that such an engine existed. Since I don't really trust the source I thought I might ask those of you who might know if such things exist. Considering the way fuel prices are going now days and if such an engine does exist I might have just found my next project.

So, here are my questions;

Did VW put a diesel in a Bus?

If so were they pancake engines or inline?

What size was this engine?

Was it turbo'd?

What years were they produced ? especially if they're pancake engines?

If they were pancake engines could you direct me to leads for their acquisition?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike O'Barr

As far as I know, there were no diesel engines in ANY 1978 VW's in this country. They put a Rabbit diesel engine in the Vanagon as an option in 1982 and 1983 only.

Reply to
Ed (formerly "a")

So the Diesel my buddy was refering to was a Rabbit Diesel?

Since the Rabbit is a front wheel drive did they use the whole drive train from the Rabbit and lock the universals up or did they do something different?

Reply to
Mike O'Barr

VW Brazil used to build diesel Buses. These buses were basically a 'split' with a 'Bay' front. I can't remember exactly when they did this but they were still doing it in the early 80's. It was an in-line unit and the fitted a plastic radiator grille at the front; similar to the 1987 and later Rabbit engined Type 2's in Mexico.

Reply to
Peter