newbie

alloha, fellow air-cool-heads. new to the forum and wanted to intro myself and pose a few ?.

25 yrs, m grad student (resource ecology) own 73' type II had 73' khombi camper (was rusty, but pretty trusty)

now for the ?'s

anyone know where to find a wiring harness for a 73' bus? will the 72' harness work?

pro's vs con's of rebuilding myself vs purchasing crate motor?

thanks much for and comments/ answers!

Reply to
crzybus

Welcome :)

You could ask

if they have or know where to get a harness of acceptable quality, I didn't see one listed on their site for the later model bus you have. But they have more stuff than what you see on the site so it's worth a try. They are a quality business, and frequently join the conversation here too. All the contact info is available on that site, go look.

Pro: massively increased understanding of how it works, you learn a lot, plus if and when you get it right, you get the bragging rights and the reward of knowing you could do it. Plenty of help available through here. My first and most important advice: Get a second opinion on everything you "learn" before doiung anything. That includes everything I tell you. :-D

Con: Tons of little details you need to know, plus a couple of "special" tools you need that aren't normally found in the toolbox of someone who's most demanding mechanical project ever is the annual maintenance of his lawn mower. Ignoring the fine details will result in a less than perfectly running engine with oil leaks and poor mileage & reduced power.

Get a Bentley manual (Robert Bentley publishing, "Officla VW repair manual" or whatever.. they're blue) that covers the year of your engine. (The manufacture year of the lump in the back of your vehicle may differ from the yeasr of the vehicle itself... they've all seen quite a bit of life by now.. )

ASK us before making decisions or big changes or doing something that's hard to reverse.

This newsgroup is by far the best resource of information you can find to help you through a rebuild.

Jan (your resident group King, democratically elected... based on post count :) )

Reply to
Jan Andersson

And to think I rebuilt my 1200 40 HP on the workbench in my parent's basement when I was in High School with nothing to go by except the MUIR book and whatever tools I had at hand! ;-)

Still runs... doesn't leak or burn oil... must 'ah got lucky! Perhaps it has a few less HP than a blueprinted engine, but for the amount of miles I put on it for a few months each summer, I think I'll leave well enough alone until it starts to develop problems. It still gets oil changes, valve adjustments, etc. but I'm hesitant to tear it apart again.

Reply to
Red Bug

If your brain was as big as your ego your head wouldn't fit into Nebraska.

Kidd (your resident group Queen, by marriage... to the disdain of all ramva readers. "Who's your mama, bitch?")

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

From one newbie to another, "Welcome" - this group is great! Jan's right: there are a lot of very helpful knowledgeable people on this group, very willing to answer any question. How did people fix bugs before Gore invented the internet and this newsgroup? :)

We're not worthy.

"Well, I didn't vote for you." "You don't vote for kings." "Well, 'ow did you become king then?" (let's see who remembers where that riff was from..)

Remco

Reply to
remco

Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here!

That's no ordinary rabbit.

We already got one.

Reply to
Lynn Martin

"Are you suggesting coconuts migrate? Not at all, they could be carried. What -- a swallow carrying a coconut? It could grip it by the husk! It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a 1 pound coconut."

A fellow python fan!! And here I though I threw a curveball..

Reply to
Remco

hi guys, no. 1, i think u scared the crazybus guy off. lolz. i am 19 and my parents are 60 and 62 respectively. its reli difficult living with old people. 1st its the manupause. then its the alzheimer(not sure of the spelling) syndrom. it reli not easy. then there are my older sisters. one 30 and the other 32 who are truely annoying my life. but one thing that keeps me going is indulging myself into my cars. it reli makes me feel a sense of accomplishment. i feel better when im on the many vw forums online. i like to improve my knowledge on cars. i have been fixing my mumz mercedes 190E since i was 14. yes i am a car freak. but one thing, i try to keep my frustration apart from my studies and my communication wit others. ecs on the forum. well one thing that i learnt that it only gets worse. just try to handle the stress effectively. so i reli understand your feelings. take care and i hope things work out. regards, dev

Reply to
haridev

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

Lolz! Werd.

:)

Jan

Shag wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Was thinking about that myself, then I thought perhaps he a forriner by Yank standars... :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

About two hours ago one of our mares had a foal and we assisted her in the birth. I then worked an hour on finishing up securing a casting of a "Puma head" on my Puma gas cap which I made out of bondo, vegtable oil and JB Weld. I have adventures every day which makes my life fun....it's just very full at the moment. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Me too. Making a web page about it now. ;-) Got to use the winch today...

"Stupid people are funny." - me

Reply to
Shag

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

Interesting.. I've made radio & clock push buttons out of bondo.. I remember using veggie oil too in the mold.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Did you get Kim's permission to put her on a website?

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Those web pages are on my pay site. ;-)