Newbie questions???

Hi everyone, I am just starting to rebuild an old sand rail style dune buggy (rusted out frame). This is my first time getting involved with the rebuilding of Volkswagen type engines and transmissions and have a few compatibility questions....

  1. How can I tell the difference between a swingaxle transmission and an IRS transmission?

  1. Are they (transmissions) interchangeable?

  2. I am familiar with "fisher" and "barrien" frames are there any others that you would recommend? preferably close to the Michigan area.

  1. If the transmissions are interchangeable or if I can get an adapter, can I just run the CV joint axles from the transmission to the springplates?

  2. Anyone have a source for stock or inexpensive replacement dog legs/trailing arms for the IRS system.

Thanks for your help, Kris

--

------

----

Reply to
speedbuggy

Swing axle will only have 1 boot at the tranny 1 flex piont. IRS will have 2 flex points one at tranny and one at the wheel.

Well, yes and no. decide what you got and what you want and we can go from there.

I think Dan's performance, Drews, Berrien, and Larry's are all somewhat around your area. I could not tell ya what the "hot ticket is right now, it's a matter of what you want to do with it.

no, you need trailing arms to keep everything straight.

Used stokers ( I couldn't even give my last set away, off to the landfill they went) unless you want extended travel. Tip, the cheapest aftermarket ones avail in the mags ARE junk!!! You don't have to spend much more to get a good set if you wanna go that route.

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Looking at the rear suspension, I have a swingaxle type. Someone told me that they are not recommended because, when cornering the outside rear side can buckle under causing rollovers. Is it that common under traditional amateur off roading? I saw some type of add-od support for this, are they worth it? I was also told that I can use a swingaxle style tranny and suspension on an IRS torsion system, is that true? Can it be done without and major modifications? From what I've been told the IRS system would be the way I would want to go. I am also planning on making it street legal.

Thanks again, Kris

--

Reply to
speedbuggy