No Bright Lights

Howdy.

I've got a '68 Beetle I've been storing at my parents' house. I was going to drive it into town to renew the inspection when the sticker ran out, but found that the bright lights won't come on. I'd like to fix the light switch or relay or whatever, but I can't seem to find a clue in my manual. Don't know where to start.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Keith

Reply to
SomeOldDude

Hiya Keith,

If you have the original style dimmer relay (should be located in the front trunk just ahead of the speedometer along with the blinker relay) the contacts inside the relay may well be at fault. Easiest to simply replace the relay.

It is possible, though less likely, that you might have blown a couple of fuses. Each high beam (and low beam for that matter) is independently fused at the fuse box. So. it might pay to check your fuse box.

Reply to
Bookwus1

....three likely sources. 1) relay 2) switch 3) wires leading from switch to relay. Sometlimes the cotcts on the switch become worn and/ot the little plastic nub on the lever becomes worn doen and/or breaks off. You can clean up theswitch contacts and inspect the lever for wear. Most likely of them,, though, is relay. work systematically...its a pretty simple circuit. Color wiring diagrams can be found here:

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Are you guys talking about the flasher??? that's not really a relay is it??? I have never heard of a blinker/turn signal relay!?!?!?!

Reply to
VWGirl

Hiya Lauren,

Actually the responses in this thread were discussing the Headlight Dimmer relay. However, there most certainly is a blinker/turn signal relay. Usually (for late sixties and early seventies) the these two relays (at least, in their original form) are found close together, mounted on a "tree/brace" just forward of the speedometer.

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck
Reply to
Bookwus1

'Preciate the suggestions, folks.

I'll check it out and give you an update when I've found (and hopefully fixed) the problem.

Keith

Reply to
SomeOldDude