No Oil Filter???

I am sure this has been discussed at nausea in the past, but being a new member to the joy of VW ownership club (or is that joy of repair club?), I am not aware of these discussions.

My question is simple. I have 1600cc engine and it has not oil filter. It has a screen filter at the bottom of the engine. I cleaned it out and it there was a small amount of sludge with quite a bit of metalic filings in that sludge. Enough to make it shimmer in the sun.

So do the 1600s just not have oil filters? Is there a way to put an after market filter on the engine? According to the Bentley service manual the dual carburetor engines do have a oil filter mounted on the side next to the pressure release valve. When I looked in that area there is no covered up port, nothing that one can use to retrofit. Any ideas? Is it even necessary to add a filter? The manual says to change the oil every 5K miles, and clean the strainer every 15K miles (along with changing the non-existant oil filter).

Any help would be appreciated as always. Including pointing out that the filter does exist and that I am an idiot for not finding it!!!

Thanks again... Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Townsley

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to the wonderful world of aircooled VW's...

Yes you are correct, the only stock filter is the screen at the bottom of the engine. Many, many people use this setup and receive good service from their engines. Its probably a good idea to change your oil at least every 3,000 miles, if not every 1500 miles (depends on your style of driving and the conditions, could be as much as every 500 miles if in a dusty condition).

And just as many people buy the oil filter kit available from several of the VW aftermarket retailers. If you'd like to do some research, check out:

Do a search on google for this newsgroup and you will see many discussions on this topic. Hopefully many will chime in with their $0.02

You'll find this newsgroup to be extremely helpful with aircooled VW questions.

Dane Tyler '69 Bug '63 Bug

Chuck Townsley wrote:

Reply to
Dane Tyler

or you can get the same kit for about half the price here at just the same quality

Kafertoys

I am going to go with this:

this:
have a new Mexican beetle engine.dave

Reply to
David

I've used by-pass systems for years for the 1600. I am trying the Mexican style with the oil filter located on the oil pump with my Puma and so far, so good. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Hey!! Now, that's pretty darn slick! I knew ol' John C. gets a hold of many nifty new toys! This is what I have on my 'vert

you're buying oil related items ask John about a nice heavybillet oil drain plate. It has put an end once and for all of a peskyoil leak I had time ago!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

FYI: Something that you need to keep in mind it that IF you have a stock muffler this item

not work, due to clearance issues. Plus, I have a friend thatbought this very same item from JC Whitney and they leaked due tohairline cracks only visible when they are nice and hot.That is why I went with
&
filter is mounted under the left rear fender.Never had any troubles!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Huh -- I've never seen that gadget before. Adding a real oil filter to the Wonderbus is something I'd love to do, but the various kits, with all their hoses and variations, from different vendors, with different claims about their hoses, etc., look to be a bit of trouble to install. This kit, though, looks to be dead simple. And affordable.

The Wonderbus has a new Mexi 1600 longblock in it and further down this thread, Dennis Wik mentions "the Mexican style with the oil filter located on the oil pump." Would that be this JC Whitney kit? If so, it might be a good match for the engine.

JC Whitney sells two types, one for "Dish Cam," and one for not. I have no idea what kind of cam this engine has in it. Anyone?

Has anyone tried this kit on a 71 bus w/ its mustache bar? Do it fit?

Sign me, as usual, asking more questions than I ever answer on this NG.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

What kind of hose works well with those?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I have normal high pressure hoses on it with clamps. Never a leak... works GREAT. Have had quite a few people that went with the CB performance Maxi pump 3. It's one of the easiest full-flow without drilling and tapping the case, because it all flows in and out from the pump, instead of out from one place and the return from another. Well worth the $$$.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

They are GREAT! Give them a call!! When I ordered mine I had questions too. After 2 minutes on the phone, answered a couple of questions.... I had the part ordered. BTW I bought the high pressure hose from them too. (might as well get it all from the same place) Keep me posted!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

For my 71 bus with new Mexi 1600 DP engine, I want to add:

But I am unclear which version to order. They offer two flavors of the pump, described thusly:

Part# Description Price

1798 Maxi Pump 3 to 70 1799 Maxi Pump 3 71-on

If I had to hazard a guess, I want the first type, the #1798 because their dating scheme is probably for bugs and the bus had the upright engine into 1971. Good guess?

An e-mail to CB Performance has gone unanswered (how's their customer service, in general?)

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

If I remember well, it was based on the type of CAM SHAFT you have. They will know which one. Plus, when I bought mine they said that in the event it was the wrong one they would trade it for the right one for no extra charge. Worst case scenario I would have been only out a few days till the new one came in.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Reply to
ilambert

your late model replacement engine will contain the 71+ "dished" cam....all aftermarket performance cams are the "flat" (pre 71) cam...the dished cam has four rivets holding the cam gear on and is "dished" in the center...so the pump has a longer shaft(from the gear) to meet up with the slot in the cam,w hich in turn, um, turns the gear to pump the oil....the later ones can have the gear pressed further onto the shaft and the shaft ground down flush if for some reason you would have the early cam(VERY doubtful, as far as i know all factory cams(like in your factory longblock) had the dished cam from 71...i have torn down two in the past couple years that were replacement engines and they were dished....)

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

LOL, same quality?????? RIGHT!! :-D

nice try!

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Here's an idea. Since the two of you disagree on performance engine parts and want to prove who knows what they are talking about and who is utterly full of shit, how about the two of you race your best VW that you've built and whoever loses the race has an extra large cup of STFU and leaves RAMVA...? That is, unless one of you is just a liar, con-artist, or has some really stupid excuse... :-) In case both of you do decide to race, I've got a dollar or two I'd like to bet on that race.

Reply to
Shaggie

Thank, guys -- the later version is what I've ordered. I'm looking forward to putting a real filter on the Wonderbus. Not that I don't love changing oil every 1,500 miles, of course . . .

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

................My money's on John.

Reply to