No value?

Jodie Foster's '79 Beetle Convertible FI with 55,000 miles went for a mere $16,500US today at the auction on Speed channel... Is that all this type and year is really worth? Does it really have to be an OLD Beetle? Would the car have sold for more on TheSamba or elsewhere?

Reply to
Red Bug

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:41:33 GMT, Red Bug scribbled this interesting note:

A '79 sold for over $16,000??? I'd say the seller got lucky!

John Willis

Beetle?

That sounds pretty normal to me, for a low mileage 79. Now a low mileage carbureted Beetle would probably go for quite a bit more, probably about 18,000. People aren't too fond of the early FI systems.

Reply to
Anthony

Reply to
Al Gilson

So someone paid 200% value for Jodie's Bug. Sucker.

Reply to
jjs

Hinckley would have paid a bunch more than that if he were allowed to bid on it............He would have wanted to have it for some strnage reasons though I'm sure.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Say, did you know that Hinkley was considered for parole under the employment of the White House as an armed guard? Yep. President Bush set it up.

Bush had his first meeting with Hinkely and told him, "You are in a position to learn highly confidential information and we expect you to honor that confidentiality. For example, did you know that Senator Kenneday and Jodie Foster are having an affair?"

Reply to
jjs

No Shit?

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

LOL

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

*********** I find it hard to believe. #1 that Beelte conv. aren't worth more; #2 that apparently NONE of the old Beetles are worth anything, since no one has bought the '67 that my friend was selling (a RUNNING car with about $1500 worth of parts for a grand - but not any more!); #3 That any car owned by Jody is not worth more (I'm a fan). ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

*********** I find it hard to believe. #1 that Beelte conv. aren't worth more; #2 that apparently NONE of the old Beetles are worth anything, since no one has bought the '67 that my friend was selling (a RUNNING car with about $1500 worth of parts for a grand - but not any more! - the engine is now out & the body is for sale for $800); #3 That any car owned by Jody is not worth more (I'm a fan). ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

The main reason I found VW Beetles a hobby was the fact that I could afford them . It still is. What about the rest of you?

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

I like ACVWs because they're cars I can do all the work on myself.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

Reply to
Ben Boyle

As I've mentioned in the past I am a mechanic's worst nightmare! I admit to having no clue how to fix things and so I don't. Admittedly I pay the big $$$$ at times for repairs, but at least it keeps me away from the nightmare. You will not see me even attempt to pull my engine in this lifetime, whereas some of you folk do it to use up extra time!

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I like them because they're rear engine, air cooled, & can go just about anywhere if you just cut off the overhangs & add mudgrip tires. Of course, With Annie (as with most all my projects) I took that concept to extreme... I also like the ease of working on them. I can swap an engine in a baja in

30 minites, unless it has an external oil cooler & that usually adds about ten minites.
(Annie the off-road baja bug & someother photos) In addition, they're economical & fun to drive. I'm leaving out alot of other reasons but I think those are the main ones for me. I would like to add that I believe a stock original/restored *rare* Beetle is worth the cost of restoration, which would be around $18,000 for a professional ground-up restoration in my estimate (& it's what I do). By rare I mean the most desirable ones like the '67. I'm sure (& it's obvious) you'd never sell one for that, though... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

Great comments. The real value I believe is the enjoyment I get owning and driving them. If someone thinks the value is actually the price someone else would pay you for your vehicle or the envy in the eyes of others, then you should be driving a 60's muscle cars instead....Which, by the way, I've owned and enjoyed also.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

and driving them. If someone thinks the value is actually the price someone else would pay you for your vehicle or the envy in the eyes of others, then you should be driving a 60's muscle cars instead....Which, by the way, I've owned and enjoyed also.

******* Thanks; I've owned about everything you can think of (except high-end exotics) & Annie has been *the* most fun of all of them. It's impossible to just drive it down the road & not have fun - not to mention off-roading in which it frequently put 4x4's to shame on almost *any* surface/grade/condition. :-) ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

Reply to
Ben Boyle

******** Don't get me started....too late. I have a V8 Z car that I've spent a lot of money on (before I spent all the rest on my property & started living in the moving van). Now, when I moved to Al. in '89 they said I *had* to have a *title* for any vehicle I brought from Ga., in order to tag it in Al. I played H-E-DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS getting a tag for the Harley that I had driven/tagged in Ga. for 12+ years. So I made *sure* I got a *title* when I bought (& before starting work on) this Z car. Now I towed the car to Al. last week to get the tag/title (from my storage building in Ga., 'cause they have to see the car to verify the VIN), & they said that the *title* was not enough (or even needed!); that I had to have a notorized bill of sale & a tag receipt from the last owner to tag it in Ga. - *this* for a car that probably hasn't seen the payment for a couple decades!!! They *also* said that NOTHING HAD CHANGED!!! So WHY did I go through all the SH*T with my other cars *having* to have a *title* these past 15 years???? The IDIOTS!!! They also suggested that I BREAK THE LAW & FORGE a bill of sale to someone else, get them to get the tag in Ga., & bring *that* paperwork back to them in Al.! Jeeeze!!! ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver