Noise question

I guess I have gotten soft. My regular ride is a 2000 Toyota Tundra. Yesterday I took my 66 bug out for drive and went to one of the local Cruise nights. I can feel every bump and piece of dirt I drive over in my bug. Part of it may be the 2 inch dropped spindles and adjustable front end. That and I still haven't put in the carpet. I just don't remember my earlier bugs being so noisy while driving.

Do the rest of you have similar experience driving your cars?

Mike/chopped 66 bug

Reply to
Mike West

yes.

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Kind of hard to hear much road noise over the wind noise, thanks to my poorly installed one-piece windows (kudos to the previous owner). I bet some carpet would make a huge difference though, especially if you used some sort of sound insulation underneath it (Dynamat, or whatever they call it).

As far as the ride, I don't have much to offer except to wonder about your tires. If you have big wheels and low profile tires, that probably explains that. Low profiles may look cool, but you sacrifice ride quality, especially on an older car not designed for them.

Peace, Harry '74 Std. Beetle

Reply to
Harry Smith

not true....i run small wheels(1972 porsche pedrini 15") but lower profile tires.... 195/65 rear(to keep close to stock diameter) and 195/50 front....the ride on my car is better than any beetle i have ever ridden in.... rides nice on a cushion of air...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

"Low profile" generally refers to aspect ratios less than 50...like people driving around with 255/30/18s, or whatever. At least it does in the rest of the automotive world, I guess I really don't know much about VW's in that regard...

Peace, Harry

Reply to
Harry Smith

stop doing wheelies you maniac :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

the aspect ratio of the standard replacement tires for the bug and ghia is approximately 82(metric radials).... the rim size has nothing to do with how "low" the "profile" is of the tire...i can assure you a 195/50 is "low profile"..maybe check out the newest craze for lowered vw's(extremely lowered) 165/45/15...very tiny tires

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

but...but...but....it's fun!!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

yes compared to my new van, my vw is very noisey! My 72 beetle with no carpet was noisey, the road noise was bad. also engine compartment insulation cuts down on engine noise. Also the headliner keeps the inside from sounding like a tin can Good door and window seals can also help things from rattling.

Reply to
dragenwagen