North Carolina vehicle inspections

Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing up what happened. Now I see you took the shotgun approach to the problem when you realized you didn't have the skills to diagnose the problem effectively. Thanks again! :-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

.................At least I used my shop manual to figure it out and fix it myself without pissing and moaning about it on a newsgroup. Shotgun approach: Is that your 'spin' on following the steps of a diagnostic flow sheet..........????

..........That Jim Beam is working its magic on that tiny head of yours once again I see.......................HAH !

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Pissing and moaning about it? All you do is piss and moan, Tim. Maybe you should see a doctor about that. :)

No, that's me making fun of you. Try to keep up, sparky!

No, not yet. Just cracked open my first beer. Shouldn't you be peeking out of your front window to be sure someone else isn't messing with your car? heh heh

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

...well we'll have to get that straightened out.....hmmm...since Jan is the most commonly naked male in the group, I'll leaver you to "secure" him however you see fit. You may try using the roll of duct tape he keeps handy....unless of course he used it all up on the gerbil again..

...Gareth

Reply to
www.ttdown.com

..................I've got a 45 pound schnauzer who knows how to rip the gonads off of any redneck who's drunk enough to set foot in my driveway.

LOL

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:00:28 -0400,

ran around screaming and yelling:

um.....i pass on that....thanks anyway...hehe... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:39:07 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

i've got a 21 pounder that would chew the shit out of your schnauzer's feet...LOL...he did manage to scare off my mom's 180 pound great dane...guess the dane figured the little yapper was nuts...heh JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

................Attitude can compensate for size. Our neighbors have a little black & white rat terrier that is friendly as hell to people but who gets real hostile towards his fellow canines no matter how large.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Are you sure it was water? Maybe someone just had to relief himself...

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I'd hunt down that perp and make his life miserable. Look for some idjit who drives a lowball oriental machine with lots of neon.

Reply to
jjs

"Scott H" wrote

Ok, can somebody at least tell me when VW first put a thermostatic air control valve(?) in the air cleaner in US Beetles? I'm assuming the tampering portion of the inspection would only apply back to whenever this was introduced. Since mine is a '72, I have the 70-79 Bentley and it mentions the TAC for `70 models. Were they installed prior to that? Always? Educate me.

Thanks,

Reply to
Scott H

Go to this link.

About 1/2 down the thing it talks about 1975 and older vehicles being exempt.

Randy

RSMEINER

That site is confusing. Check this out:

vehicles are required to be emissions tested? Additionally, through December 31, 2005, all gasoline-powered vehicles less than 25 years old, up to and including model year 1995, registered in one of the original nine emissions counties, (WAKE, FORSYTH, GUILFORD, DURHAM, GASTON, CABARRUS, MECKLENBURG, ORANGE, or UNION), will require an exhaust (tailpipe) emissions test.

Less than 25 years old... But the page you pointed to says: Any motor vehicle, model year 1975 and newer, registered in these nine counties must pass an annual emissions inspection. If the vehicle is a '75 then it's 29 years old already... Um...

So maybe that means if it's '75 or newer then it needs to have an emissions inspection BUT if it's 25 years old or more then that emissions VISUAL inspection does not include an actual exhaust emissions test where they sniff the tailpipe. I think that means they will only visually inspect your vehicle if it's 25 years old or older, but manufactured after 1975. They don't make it very clear. Just bribe the inspector. ;-)

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

Yep, they are pretty screwed up. Take it in, see what they say, tell them to pound sand.

Randy

RSMEINER

"RSMEINER" wrote

Thanks for the reply, Randy.

Evidently I'm not asking the right questions or I'm just not being clear enough. I already know that my car in stock form is exempt from emissions testing (i.e. sniffing the tailpipe). The part I'm asking about is a visual tampering inspection for the thermostatic air control, contained in the stock air cleaner. My '72 does qualify for this inspection.

I had already wandered around the NC DMV website a lot and, like Shaggie said, it's pretty confusing in places. I did look around it some more after you posted the link and found this in the .pdf of the regulations manual: "An exhaust emission shall not be approved if the vehicle is a 1968 year model or newer and any of the visible emission control devices placed thereon by the manufacturer are missing, disconnected, made inoperative or have been altered without approval of the Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources."

That tells me that it will only apply to '68 and up, partially answers one of my questions and is just another reason why pre-`68s are better. ;-)

Surely someone in NC is running dual carbs on a post-`68. Oh well, thanks again.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H