Not the heat riser -Crap

Hi everyone, My on going problem with my 74 still exists. I was sure it was the heat riser causing the problem but i just checked it & it is clear & getting exhaust. Now i am looking for suggestions.

I also repaced the distributor cap & rotor even though i do not think they are the problem as they are somewhat new.

The problem is that once warm the engine tends to bog down & eventualy stall .like a clogged heat riser.

Timing is ok.

What does a bad coil do?

Very frustrating!

Reply to
evanevans

problem with the fuel getting to the carb? do you have a fuel filter that allows you to see the fuel going to the carb?

Reply to
One out of many daves

Yes i do. I originaly suspected a fuel delivery but i just don't know how to test for that.

Reply to
evanevans

If you suspect the carburetor is not getting fuel when the engine dies you just need to remove the air cleaner and look down the carburetor throat while you pull the throttle a few times. If you do not get a sharp spray of fuel from the accelerator pump nozzle then the float bowl is likely empty. An even more effective way to know for certain if this is the problem is to remove the screws from the carburetor top cover and lift the top off to see if the bowl is empty or not.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Testing it could be like what Chris said or You could tee in a fuel pressure gauge and look at the fuel pressure while the engine is running. I have seen some plastic, possibly from fuel additives, that travel down to the outlet pipe and clogs it up. I have also found some super tiny leaks in the hoses/piping that allow air to enter the fuel plumbing which definitely creates a running problem. I usually put the pressure gauge on the hose connected to the fuel tank, plugging up the fuel tank outlet and run the engine. This will create a vacuum and then you shut off the engine and watch that gauge. If it retains the vacuum then the plumbing should be good. If not then start looking for a leak somewhere and it could be the fuel pump itself so you could clamp hoses closed as you test for leaks.

Reply to
One out of many daves