Nothing fits. All veedub suppliers are lame.

From engine tin to seatbelts to crappy gas tank senders to pully pullers that snap..

What the hell?

The problem must be all the taiwan suppliers. The retailers make more mark-up on thier crap and we all suffer.

Time for me to spend my money @ GeneBerg only.

What happened to Quality-Control?? Where did it go?

Reply to
David Gravereaux

That is why 9 out of 10 times you are better off with good used OG parts!

Reply to
Karl

Agreed! Though NOS is getting more scarce by the day.

There's a problem here in northern california.. *No junk yards have bugs*.

I just don't get it?! The pick&pull in Newark has 4, but only one had an engine I could scarf engine tin off of. And not all the parts I needed either. There's a place in rancho cordova that has a bunch, but they want too much money for stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they were buying all the bugs from all the local yards and cornering the local market.

crap!

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Since I live in the middle of nowhere, I have purchased "doner" bugs at different times, stripped parts that could be hard to find and then get rid of the rest. Everything from '74 voltage regulators (which I did need) to engine tin, bolts, defroster motor, and super windshields. I can't tell you what to do but this approach has worked well for me. Dennis

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

"What happened to Quality-Control?? Where did it go?"

We are working with 40-50 year old cars here. Volkswagen AG wants us to go away. Most of the suppliers are selling crap because they know they can unload it, people will buy it, and what are you going to do after you get taken? Try to get a refund? Good luck. I know all about the problems with tinware that doesn't fit, carburetors that don't work out of the box, brake drums that are warped out of the package, new wheel bearings with looser tolerances than the ones I removed, yada yada yada.

I've encountered a lot of 'crap' in recent years. It stands to only get worse as times rolls along. The days of using a bug/bus as a daily driver are certainly becoming harder and harder to justify.

Good parts are out there, it just takes digging to find them and you have to pony up the cash when you find them. I try not to buy parts without inspecting them first anymore.

Couple years back I was doing a top-end overhaul on my 74 super. I need some shims to set the deck height, so I went down to the local VW place and they had some shims bubblepacked that I think said "EMPI" on them. I asked to cut the shrinkwrap enough to put my caliper on them. I don't remember the exact numbers but I know that the number on the package was at least 15 thousands off from what the shims actually measured, and not one of those damn things measured the same as the others.

Buyer beware.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I know what your saying.

There is a guy here in Nipomo CA that will grab a bug as soon as it hits the junkyards or tow places. and he's one mean guy!

I was lucky to get my super from a tow guy friend of mine or else he would have grabbed it up just like he did the last 3 he just got in.

I just go for cip1.com or theres a guy joes buggyhause here > >

Reply to
slugbug

It dies about 20 years ago?

ASSUME whatever you buy doesn't fit *quite* right. Close, but you usualy need to work on it a little before final assembly.

ACCEPT that as an industry standard, and you won't get so frustrated.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

You need to look further down south... and ask some clubs.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

David I work with VW after market parts daily , not that I like the fit of alot of them but thats life. I try to sell alot of used original parts to my costomers but some think new is better. You have to shop around and buy some junk and deal with some real azzhole parts jockeys before you find the good parts. I only do the highest quality work and strive to find the best available parts from the most honorable venders. For most here VWs are a hobby for me its also a living so I most of all understand the principal of finding good parts. Best I can say is ask here before buying something and hope someone like me will tell you what you want to find "good used" Or who to buy from.

Reply to
Kafertoys

I got most of my engine tin from them. Good stuff and fit perfect being real VW parts.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Problem is, we're tryin' to get first rate stuff from second rate sources......

Mexico, Brazil, Taiwan, India.... they don't call 'em third world countires for nothin' ya know......

mike

73T1
Reply to
Mike

Smartest comment, so far!

Mexico & Brazil make some of the best quality parts for the VW industry and these are sent to places like Germany, USA, UK where they are sold at 1st World prices. That's one of the ways to become "1st World"; if everyone got to share in the pie then we would all be '2nd World'. There are some companies that access these same parts and supply them to retailers at a fair price, but then not all the retailers are fair to their clients. Firstly, they don't always inform the client that they have new OG parts in their inventory and, when they do, they have been known to mark them up ten-fold!

Of course,this does not change the fact that the World (powers that be) is constantly lowering the 'bar' and we (especially the 3rd World) pay the penalty.

Reply to
Peter