O.T. tires/wheel width on trailer

Hello! I'd like to know the pros/cons of having wide tires on a trailer.

Context : 600-700 lbs trailer to be hauled by a mild-custom '72 Super (front lowered, disc brake front, etc). I wanted to use 195R15/50 on Sport VW wheels (15 inches X 5.5 inches) on the trailer since that would about match what is on the car.

Thanks for your time!

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

With only 600 to 700 pounds they should do alright ,but you would get less sway and longer life out of a ST rated tire ....

Here's a link that highlights the differences between car and trailer tires

sidewinder

Reply to
sidewinder

Thank you for the link and infos!

Do you think the lower tire hight provided by the 50 profile would partially compensate for the softer sidewall than the stiffer side walls of a ST tire?

At least one trailer manufacturer seem to think it's possible. See :

(Look for the T@B model, they use the same tire size as I plan to)

Or do they have ST tires in 50 profile?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 03:43:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Eric Desrochers) ran around screaming and yelling:

i have passenger tires on a utility trailer i built....just one caution i would offer up, note the maximum load capacity of the tire...don't over load and you will likely be okay... j

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

.....................That's the problem that I ran into a few summers ago with my boat. The PO had installed car tires on the trailer and it was OK so long as I didn't put too much weight inside the boat while I was trailering it. I went on a two week camping trip and probably had probably doubled it's weight by loading too much camping equipment in it. I was driving along at about 65 when suddenly one of the tires literally exploded trashing the fender and even denting the hull on my aluminum boat. I bought a pair of six ply trailer tires after that little misadventure.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:24:46 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

no doubt i agree that trailer tires are *best* on a trailer...just thought i would offer up my half a cents worth before...sometimes on a

*lightduty* trailer or such car tires are fine...i even used car tires on a car trailer i had at one time...but that was because my brother worked at a tire shop and i bought eight matching tires and wheels for my trailer and tow vehicle...hehe...looked good...even painted the trailer to match the truck.... as i said, i still and *do* use passenger car tires on my not really so light duty utility trailer...but i do watch and keep in mind the load range of the tires i'm using...that is a key factor.... now tim....bite me....LOL J
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

....................Aren't you one of the two here who hates starter relays because.............???

..............neener neener neener.........

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:24:30 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

yes...yes i am...but i didn't suggest that the poster remove his tires and put something on the rims that didn't come there...neener back...hahahaha J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hey Eric IMHO the lower profile would help reduce sway but flex at max load might still be a tire killer ... At only 600 or 700 pounds I don't believe it would be a problem since your way under the rated capacity of car tires .At that load flex would be minimal ....

sidewinder

Reply to
sidewinder

My thought exactly. The tires I plan to use are rated 81T, wich is just over 1000 pounds per tire. My projected trailer load will weight only

300ish pounds on each tire.

Now, if we set aside the loading issue, will the wide thread cause other issues? All trailer wheels seem to be narrow. Is this just an economy measure or it's really beneficial to have narrow tires on trailers?

Thanks again, volks!

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

Since it's not a traction tire economy and space requirements would be my guess also ... I have seen wider tires on farm use trailers and small rim heavy load trailers ( such as pontoon boat trailers )

sidewinder

Reply to
sidewinder