Oh, I screwed up this time. :-(

To everyone talking about stupid mistakes you've made working on cars... I'm in the club for sure now.

Oh brother I feel like an idiot about this, but... Someone signed my guestbook and told me I did the valve adjustment on my motorcycle wrong because I confused inches and milimeters. I looked in the Clymer manual and it says for exhaust I should have a gap in the range: .12-.17mm (0.0047-0.0067 inches) I just looked at my feeler gauge set. Each feeler gauge has 2 measurements on it. They range from: "006 152mm" up to "020 508mm" I thought that was 6 thousandths of an inch up to 20 thousands of an inch and from 152 mm to 508 mm. When I look online I see a conversion factor that says 1 mm = 0.03937 inch So if I do the math on one of my feelers like the first one "006

152mm"..... 152 * .03937 = 5.984 or roughly 6. But that's off by an order of magnitude of 1000...so 152 must not be 152 mm. It must be .152 mm, right? I think that's right.... If it is, I believe I used the "inches" number on my feeler gauges when I adjusted the valves on the motorcycle... I set the exhaust to .007" which is ~.178m. Just a little bit out of spec, on the loose side but not too bad. I set the intake to .012" which is .305 mm, and the loosest they should be is .17m. EEK! Looks like I'll be doing a valve adjustment on my motorcycle this weekend. I've ridden it probably 2000 miles with this adjustment. That sucks.

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

Rob J

A half meter thick feeler gauge. Nope, that is missing from my tool set.

Good though, that you set them too loose. Too tight might have done some damage.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:07:43 +0300, "Olli Lammi" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Dude, buy some *real* tools. ;-D

-- Travis '63 VW Camo Baja...

your enemies. It messes with their heads.It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge. :wq!

Reply to
travis

*Real* men make tools (and roof racks) out of rebar :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Damn Jan, I bet you've got some noisy valves...;)

Reply to
dragoneyre

You haven't got anything more recent than 1999 have you? You've really been waiting that long to use this article in this kinda situation? Wow, how sad.

Reply to
Filth

This is the latest metric conversion screwup I've heard about. You know of anything newer? Is so, post on!

BTW, what's the expirati>>AT least you didn't lose a $125 million satellite!

Reply to
Rob J