Oh No! another noise

Can anyone please tell me what I am hearing now? As I start out in 1st or second gear I hear a tapping, rubbing clicking noise. Sounds like a loose rocker arm noise. I don't hear it while out of gear and reving up the motor. Just when I am staring out in 1st mostly. In the other gears when the motor is at a lower rpm I don't hear it. I think it may be coming out of the trans. Flyweel? clutch spring? or could it be a rocker arm. 1973 standard bug . Thanks for your help. Pete

Did you just have the wheels off ? Put new wheels on ? Brake job ?

Randy

RSMEINER

No! If I hold on the shifter while in first or second I can feel something that goes along with the noise. It sounds a little like having a playing card hooked on your bike wheel....Do you rmrmber doing that...all my spokes were very loose.

Pete

RSME>>Can anyone please tell me what I am hearing now? As I start out in 1st

From your description, it could be a bunch of things.

Bowden tube ? Clutch going ? Trans ?

Hell, there are much better mechanics here then me to help diagnos this.

Randy

RSMEINER

Sounds like broken CV joints.

Reply to
Anthony

look closely at the cv boots...I have new ones and no noise now. As you get revved up, the engine disguises the noise...and do NOT get colored boot covers, or a cheap colored distributor cap. The black higher priced ones are the ONLY way to go...

Reply to
pmbedard

yellow ones I had on there were easily diagnosed (shredded)... do you have the Haynes book? I left this job to my VW mechanic - you have to get boots (4) with grease (little baggie for each). It's a MESSY JOB, and a GOOD VW mechanic can look at the balls of the cv joints and see if they need replacing...mine just needed grease and boots. As far as I know boots that slip on are available for older beetles, but haven't seen these for our 70's cars...