Oh Oh, I smell enron fumes

Wow. Never heard of that position.

Reply to
jjs

I was. We were driving a '62 Corvair 700 with the 80 hp 6 and the PowerSlide tranny with no Park gear. You had to anticipate the green or the guy behind you would honk, it took so long to get her started after you hit the gas. We got the last tankful of 24.9 gas in town. As soon as we pulled out, the station guy jacked it up to 40.9, he started doing it before we pulled away . . .

Charles in Palatine.

Reply to
Charles Fregeau

I also had a 76 Dodge Sportsman van at the time with charging system problems. More than once, we used the Guzzi to jumpstart the van. (!)

It was, on the other hand, the most comfortable 2-up bike I ever had. My wife (then GF) and I would ride from San Jose to Santa Cruz, have lunch and ride back. Made for some very nice Sundays. Just don't overdrive the brakes. Or lay it down.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Looks to be a '64-'66.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

You've never seen a walker at the mall ? Thats the bunch of older folks who make laps around the place over and over again. Oh wait, you are an older folks. Never mind.

Randy

RSMEINER

That's because they were hardly exported to the US at all. I should've mentioned that I'm in Germany. Over here, they must have been rather common in the '60s, and not really rare yet in the '70s.

I'd gladly pay a couple thousand Euros for an early vert in that condition, if I could find one (and if I hadn't bought that '70).

Later. The front turnblinkers are '64 or later.

Don't know about salaries, but you can get a late '80s compact to middle class car (say, a Jetta or a Passat) in decent condition (you know, all one colour and a brake job away from TÜV inspection or some such) for a couple hundred Euros. Less if it's something no-one wants, like an Opel or Ford or Isuzu or something.

And in that condition like the vert in your picture, the price is zero (if maybe not for a vert, but certainly for a sedan).

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

If you are an old hippie, it's impossible to remember much of the 60's.

Randy

RSMEINER

Never was a hippie. Never did drugs. I spent 64-70 in-service, most of it overseas. Sure, I had long hair after I got out but that doesn't mean anything.

Reply to
jjs

I was there. Had 2 pinto's. first was a 1971. Drove it into the ground. Rebuilt the motor 3 times. Damn htings ate rings (1600cc 4). Last time I rebuilt it it had been blowing oil for months. Drove it up on the ramps. When I took it apart, only 1 cylinder still had rings. Others were melted so bad the pistons were melted to. Bought a wrecked (frontend) 73 and made 1 good car out of 2 bad ones. Ran great till I sold it. Had a lot of fun in that car....*8-}

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

My father-in-law had a dream. Used it for roadtrips all over the PNW. Now he runs a GW. But health has been stopping him from using it. My wife is talking about getting it from him and learning how to ride to join me on my roadtrips....*8-}

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Sorry, I was talking about that I was looking for a job, not a car.

Thanks anyway though! :-)

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

Hey Randy, I'm an old hippie too. And I was way to stoned through the 60's and 70's to remember much of anything. However I do remember my first bug, A 1960, blue in color, Bought it in germany in 1971 for 500US. Was a great car till it blewup the second time. Damn autobahn anyway....*8-}

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Okay, what do you do, where do you want to live, how much do you want to make?

Reply to
jjs

"jjs" wrote

Sometime in the mid `70s, before I knew him, an older friend of mine traded a mint '62 Corvette for a ratty '72 Nova. Even. Also, around 1976, a girl at my church traded in a '63 Corvette on a new Toyota Celica. When I turned 16 in 1982, the auto trader papers were full of mid 60s-early

70s muscle cars usually priced between $1500 to $2500 for average condition cars.

John, I'm curious as to what made the T-bird worth $6000. The MSRP for T-birds was under $4000 in '59. For an average condition five year old car in '64, I'm sure the value was much less than that.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

Reply to
Braukuche

Yeah, I moved to New Mexico in 82 and was amazed by how cheap old Vettes were there. Sure, they were pretty faded and worn, but... dunno.

Could it be that I don't remember that one clearly? Ya think? :)

Reply to
jjs

"jjs" wrote

Hehe ... surely not. :-)

I thought maybe it was a super-de-duper hopped up race car or somethin'.

Point is, I guess we all knew then what we knew now. Or something.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H

"Scott H" wrote

Geez ... now my mind's gone ... that should've been "I guess IF we knew then what we KNOW now."

:::sigh:::

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H