oil change problem

Allright, so I get around to changing the oil in my oval window (stock 36). The last nut on the strainer cover won't come off, just spins and spins. Now what do I do. In addition, if a stud comes out, what do I do so that the nut comes off and the stud does not (for next time). Haven't had this problem before and am, well unhappy. I guess I'll walk over to the car show. - DB

Reply to
DB

Yeh, I thought about the loctite AFTER I posted. MOre concerned with the nut that is just spinning - can't finish the oil change without figuring out how to get it off (and then more importantly getting it back on). - DB

Reply to
DB

Well, at least I am now pretty sure where the oil leak is coming from (but how it got up to the lip of my lower pulley, I'll never know). :0 - DB

Reply to
DB

maybe put anti seize on the nut to make it easier to get off... maybe put some loctite on the stud to hold it in... Guess maybe I should do that too... I always have one stud that comes out when I change my oil :-/

Reply to
VWGirl

I'm going to sit this one out until we get an expert answer. You too because I think one of those studs also holds the pick-up tube in place.

Reply to
jjs

I had a nut crossthread on one of the rocker arm bolts one time... THAT was a pain to say the least...I ended up replaceing the bolts and nut... had to break the nut to get it off... good luck!

Reply to
VWGirl

One of my studs acts like that also, maybe it is in love with the nut, or they want to become a bolt.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 12:33:47 -0100, "DB" ran around screaming and yelling:

aerodynamics....and maybe a loose joint in the "tin"... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

The nut that comes out with the stud is not a real problem. After nut and stud are removed, lock two nuts against each other on the other end of the stud. Then you have a way to hold the stud in order to remove the jammed nut. Clean the threads of the nut and stuf with thread cutting tools for 6mm metric thread, or use a new and a bolt of the appropriate length. Then you have to clean the oil from the stud and the threaded hole in the case, and use some locktite on the stud. You can use the two locked nuts to screw the stud on the case.

In the second problem, you have to determine if the stud spins with the nut, or if just the nut that spins on the stud. Also examine inside the case in the backside of the stud, to see if the oil suction tube is attached on this stud. If it is, you have to unscrew to nut inside the case that holds the suction tube. This may not be very easy, you will have to find the proper tool to fit in there. Now if the stud is not turning with the nut, weld the nut on the stud and remove them both. If the nut and stud spin together, use vice grips to remove them both. Then replace the stud with a bolt of the appropriate size. Even if the threads on the case are stripped, the head of the bolt will prevent it from pulling out (plus it will hold the suction tube if this is the case). Use some thread locking or even JB Weld if the threads in the case are completely stripped, to prevent the bolt from spinning.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

you might end with what I have in my bug... 2 normal studs, one bolt, two 8 mm oversizes and one strange non-metric stud... changin oil is verry complicated byt the later mismatching...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski