Oil filter adaptation

Greetings, All:

First, thanks to all those who helped out on the last bus project, especially Bob, who never fails to crack me up, and to remind me of my Great-Grandpa Sutton, who used to build Sprint cars and other racecars in Indianapolis in the 50's and 60's. I wound up having a shop in Portland do the case conversion from type III to II, and they did a fine job (Always V-dub, in case you're wondering). So Son Andrew headed off to Reno the next day with the bus in question, and promptly had some trouble. We determined, as best we could, that the problem was timing. With some phone support from your's truly and some ingenuity, we wound up retarding the timing to TDC, and the bus runs great now. Dunno why, according to the info I had from Aircooled.Net, it should have run at 7.5 degrees BTDC, what with the SVDA dist. and the 34pict3 carb, but well...who can explain these things? We'll just say the bus is retarded and leave it at that (no, I'm not being insensitive - we've got three disabled kids, one our own, two foster kids. Both the bus and the kids seem to be better for being so, God bless them all)

But that's not why I'm writing, dang you all for getting me distracted. The new bus project has the engine case getting ready to be assembled. I decided to opt for the oil pump/filter combination sold by Bugpack. At this point I'm thinking I should have gone for another option, but well...here I am, really needing this bus to run by Monday. Isn't that the way it always is? At any rate, I realize that the left side engine mount will be covered by the extension that mounts the oil filter, and I had to have some material removed for the whole assembly to fit against the engine as designed (unless I'm putting the whole thing in upside down and it should be blocking the RIGHT side mount...but I don't think so). So the questions are, in no particular order:

- Am I on some horrendous boondoggle that I should abandon and go back to a stock oil pump until I can get time to build a second engine and consign this one to backup duties (yes, that's sort of the plan anyway...maybe in the next 6 months)

- Will I need to do anything to the mounting arrangement to make up for the lack of left mounting?

You know, it seems I had another question when I started this message. And yes, I'm almost always this distracted. You would be too if you had a house with 11 kids in it, even if you did have a project in the garage. No, it's not drugs. The only drugs I have are supposed to stop this. You can see how well that's working for me.

Reply to
ubergoober