Oil light

T3 oil light has never flickered once in the all the time I,ve had her. Gave the engine a wash today to get all the oil off ( annual registration checks in Australia can be a "pain in a@#e" . Had one idiot count the rust spots on the headlight reflectors). For an 1 hour afterwards the oil light flickered/stayed on. After that all was back to normal . Had a Beagle once who hated baths but first I,ve heard of a car that objected. Obvious things like oil level were all fine.??????????????????? John

Reply to
John

The switch is not well sealed against fluids getting in; sounds like water bridged the switch contacts and was sufficiently conductive to light the tiny light. Engine heat later drove the water off.

??

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Wow same thing happened to me I took my '68 bug for an oil change today and the fellow used an engine cleaner to clean the engine off and after the oil change I noticed the light flickering. Drove it for a while and now it is off. I was worried till I read Speedy's comment.. Thanks for reliving my stress, and cheers from Canada

Reply to
curly

Thanks Jim. The only thing I think of was somehow water got into engine, sucked into oil pump etc etc. No evidence of water in oil though. Might put a smear of silicon around the water entry point next time. Nothing ruins your day like seeing the oil light come on and stay on! Odd it happened to Curly as well! John

Reply to
John