oil pickup tube strangeness...

1964, Type 2 1500 engine in a 1965 beetle...

I was just doing a quick oil change before a long trip tomorrow, when I went to remove the oil strainer plate, all of the studs came out with the nuts. OK, no biggie I thought, I'll just screw 'em right back in again. It then occurred to me that one of those studs should have been holding down the tab that secures down the oil pickup tube surround to the case and it should have been a longer stud with a nut on the end inside the case.

So I thought, uh oh, hope that doesn't mean there's a stray nut in there. Funny thing is, all the studs are the same length and fishing around the area around the pickup tube doesn't reveal any nut. In fact, there's no securing tab at all on the pickup tube surround (or whatever its called, the upsidedown mushroom shaped bit the tube passes through) to pass a stud through. The pickup tube feels secure but it freely moves up and down an inch or two. The inside of the 'mushroom bit' is completely circular and smooth all around, no tab on there, unlike the one I can see on my old 1200 40hp case (sitting in the corner of the garage awaiting eventual reinstatement) which has a flat indent where the tab attaches.

Somebody please reassure me: is this a quirk of a '64 type 2 engine? Its supposed to be able to move like that, right?

Reply to
Dangermouse

I'm not positive but you could have whats referred to as a bastured 40 hp engine and yes there are a few oddities to these engines.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys