Oil pressure switch cutoff

I had to replace the oil pressure switch on my 1974 SB, stock engine.

The original was gray, the new one white, from a local auto parts store.

I drive the rig around town for a couple of months, then I take the rig out on the highway and 30 miles out of town, goodness, red light at every stop sign even though there is 20/50 oil in it. I had driven during the previous summer out on the highway with no effect.

Naturally, I had thrown the old switch away so I can't test to see if it is the switch and not something suddenly wrong with the motor.

Called the VW dealer (70+ miles away) The parts person 'remembered' the switch as being blue-gray, but now they are white too.

And nobody has the specs on the switch.

Are there two of them out there, one set for higher cutoff than the other?

Reply to
Richard C. Trochlil

I think the switch is set to go off at 7 psi or less.

Reply to
Mel P.

Well, I tracked down an old style switch from a friend, ran the oil temp up to 235 deg (7 mile grade at 70 mph) and no red light at the stop signs.

So I guess the new switch is set at some higher level, maybe 12 lbs.

Reply to
Richard C. Trochlil