Oil Question

Here's a thought.

Anyboy used synthetic oil and what do you think of it? I've just overhauled a motor but didn't go into the case, just new pistons and cylinders. I seem to remember you couldn't use synthetic oil straight out of the gate. Someone please refresh my memory and give me the benifit of your experience.

Should I break it in with something else first? Or should I even consider synthetics?

Thanks, < TC

Reply to
tcrdn11

dont know about beaking it in but the main reson for not using sythetic oil is cost. Synthetics have the advantage of not breaking down, but in an air cooled VDub you still have to replace it ever 1000 - 3000 miles depending on driving /climate conditions. More where breaking in !! So it will get costly compared to organic oil which is perfectly able to last the recomended milage.

Rich

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
tricky

Always break in with mineral oil, accelerate and decelerate hard just after start up, this is critical as the window of opportunity is narrow.

This is to seat the piston rings while there is a slight rough honing structure left in the cylinders.

Barely let it warm up before accelerate/decelerate using 1/3 throttle in second gear, repeat three times.

Repeat three times using 1/2 throttle and then finally full whack three times.

As you can see you need a piece of straight road, and no other vehicles around..

This is not BS, I have seen comparative pics of motorcycle engines(Pistons), and it really works!

Less blow by and higher compression.

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I ran across an interesting article on motor oil on a non-vw website a while back. It's very informative. I don't think it answers the "should I use synthetic oil in my aircooled VW" question but has some good information anyway.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

dont use synthetic oil in new/rebuilt aircooled vw engine-- rings will never seat breakin with dino oil then after 500 miles change out to synthetic if you really want syn. type oil (porsche uses syn. oil-i dont)

Reply to
bill may

Thanks Bill. Do you use synthetic in your VW? Do you notice any difference in cooling ability?