oil screen question - 70 Beetle

I've tried several oil change kits and all of the screens in the kits I've purchased won't fit on the pickup because the press fit thingy is smaller than the original screen I want to change. I thought I had a complete stock 1600cc motor. I'm not sure where I need to go, or what I need to ask for to get the right kit. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
JeffRens

Are you sure it's too small? When I replace the screen it usually takes a bit of force to press the middle hole of the screen onto the pickup tube.

Of course, use new paper gaskets and new crushable copper washers to finish the job.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

VW made engines with various diameter oil pickup tubes. '70 was the first year for the latest and largest of these. Perhaps you could just measure your tube and the hole in the strainer and see how close you are.

I'd expect the kits you buy today to have the correct strainer for you, but the "pedals" inside that opening may need to be opened a bit to fit properly; That should happen automatically the first time you force it on there.

I believe the pickup tubes increased in size 2mm at a time, so that tells you how close you need to be when measuring.

-

Jim Adney