oil temp.

i am using a meat thermometer in the dipstick hole to check oil temp. the probe doesn't quite touch the oil when running though. am i getting an accurate reading like this, or could i be getting a higher reading due to the air in the case being hotter than the oil? thanks in advance for any replies

Reply to
187

it is actually straight. you know the ones with a round dial, and a straight steel probe coming off the back? i figured i was getting an inaccurate reading, but i dont know if my reading is higher, or lower than what the oil temp actually is. thanks again for any help matt

Reply to
187

Hey. Yer screwed. Now don't take that as a Bad Thing. I used a Gene Berg thermo to bake my Thanksgiving turkey. It dried up and about blew away.

Cross-purposes and all that.

The type of digital thermometer that Jan mentioned works quite well. Unfortunately, the probes have a reputation for going bad, frequently. I bought a Pyrex brand digital thermometer at WalMart and after two uses it died. Another popular brand is Taylor. I bought one of those and the probe from it works on the Pyrex meter. You can buy replacement probes for the Taylor brand at chefdepot.com for $8.99 plus s&h. I suspect that this probe will work on any of the digital thermometers of this type that advertise a working temperature range of

32-392F.
Reply to
Mike64Bug

i got a berg ordered today, but im curious to know how far off the reading i am getting right now could be. i was having a bad heating problem, but i replaced my engine compartment seals, and it lowered my temp from 255 to 230, or so my thermometer says. i know that if the temp sending unit on a watercooled is in air, and not water, it would read hotter. im hoping this is the case with thermometer im using right now. i do know that before i changed the compartment seals i could barely tough the engine lid after running, but now i can. any help is appreciated matt

Reply to
187

You're better off using the touch test on a stock dipstick.

Extremely warm is perfect. Hot but you can still grasp it for a few seconds means you're at the upper limit. If it's too hot to touch for even a second, somethings cooking besides your finger.

Reply to
Raymond T. Lowe

that is a very crude test at best.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I don't know that the probe failure is specific to any particular brand. A search on the Internet seems to indicate that many of the various brands that use the curved probe have a hign failure rate. It looks like the probes fall in to two categories. Those that fail after one or two uses and those that work for a long time. I cut the failed probe from my Pyrex thermometer apart and I didn't see any obvious reason for a problem exept that the thermistor in the probe apparently changed value or characteristics. Nothing open or shorted.

Reply to
Mike64Bug