OIL TEMP TOO HIGH NEED HELP

I HAVE A 1974 VW BEATLE WITH A GAZILLE 1929 MERCEDES REP CAR MOUNTED ON IT......... THE OIL TEMP RUNS AT 230 DEGREES HOW CAN I FIX THIS.....................................

BILL

Reply to
Selkffda
230 on hot day is not too bad. Are all the areas around the engine bay sealed --- the the original bug engine bay? A lot of kit builders leave that off thinking it helps --- well it doesn't.
Reply to
Wolfgang

What is a Gazille 1929 Mercedes Rep Car?

Reply to
john

...its a fiberglass replicar....and the engine bays have NO sealing the engine just sits there cooking under the back. It would be a mildly difficult task to form an enclosed bay so that proper cooling can occur....bvy far easier to build a very mild and by nature cool running engine and hope for the best. Notice I said easier...not better. =-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Ah yes, now I remember. The engine is not considered within the design of the body. Shame. I spent a lot of time sealing my kit-car's engine compartment properly and it paid off enormously. OTOH, the car was truly designed for the ACVW.

Reply to
john

First lose the ALL CAP, we're not deaf, yet :)

Second, I'd say 230 is not excessive for highway speed. I'm at 240 most of the time on highway and once went as high as 255, at which time I merily slowed to 65 MPH from 70. I'm running on full synthetic so no fear of oil breakdown here.

Reply to
Eric Desrochers

Maybe you get get some deck lid stand offs/ cool air kit for it. You need to remove it in cold weather though, so it will warm up.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

@ what temp does oil burn? I've been told anything over 230 is burning the oil up

I run about 210~230 in my verts all day long, but i've also been told verts run warmer than sedans as well

I'm currently using sea-40w Valvoline Racing oil (silver bottle), is this any better than regular 40w, who knows, but it says racing, so it must be right?

skip

71 ghia vert 62 beetle vert 66 beetle vert
Reply to
Skipnkuf

Yeah, well that's hotter than necessary. Sure, it's okay with some modern semi-synthetic 'oils', but IMHO you 'vert people should look into some serious cooling alternatives. During the later days of VW's last desperate gasp, they just quit caring and let y'all later-day ACVW owners run hot. VW was then in it for the short story. You are in for the long haul. Get hip. Cool it properly.

Reply to
jjs

"It says racing, so it must be right?"

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
ilambert

skip

66 beetle vert 62 beetle vert 71 ghia vert
Reply to
Skipnkuf

Reply to
ilambert