Oil viscosity question for 74 SB

Hey guys / gals,

I have been useing straight 30 weight in my daughters 74 Super Beetle (un known actual mileage) but wanted to do an oil change and only have 5W-20,

10W-30 and 20W-50 on my shelves.

Would the 10W-30 work ok for occasional use? Are one of my other choices better? Or should I bite the bullet and make a run to the autoparts store for the 30W ? I'm in the Houston area so operating (air) temps these days range from a low of 65f to a high of 100f.

Thanks, Chris

74SB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Ben Boyle

Go with the 20W50.

10W30 is ok in colder climates, maybe. Like places that have snow in the winter.It's not a good choice for summer.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

...agreed...

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Yeah, I agree too, I didn't notice in his original post that he said he had

Reply to
Ben Boyle

had 20-50. The weather here is so variable I

the morning when it was 60 and it got to 80

got home. I've had even bigger extremes for I

on it so it's also pretty tight and has good

Southern Alabama here (90's and humid during the day).

I switched from straight 30W to 20W-50 in my '69. That would be my recommendation, also.

Reply to
Malcolm