Old Beetle Stalls When Braking

I used to be on this newsgroup about eight years ago, and I see a few familiar names (Jan, didn't you used to live in Finland or was that someone else?). But where did the archives go?

Anyway, here is the problem: I have a 72 Super Beetle with an idling glitch. If I'm standing still, the transition from high rpm to idle is OK, if a little rough. But if I'm coming to a stop, when braking, the red generator light comes on and the engine has died. I have tried backing up and braking and it comes back to idle smoothly. It seems as though there is something about forward deceleration that causes the engine to stall. Any ideas?

Reply to
thetone

My first guess is gas in the float or some other imbalance with the float hardware.

Reply to
NotMe

Hey there

You are correct, I moved from Finland to Florida some 3 years ago. Married a ramvaite and now have a boatload of kids. :D

Google Groups should be able to pull up old Ramva messages from the dawn of time as we know it, unless there is a glitch or a snafu preventing it from working... which does happen occasionally.

Your problem... I would take the carb apart and clean it. Pull out the idle jet(s) and blow air through the passages.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The auxiliary fuel jet (tiny jet, right side of carb) appeared to be clogged. When cleaned and reinstalled, problem was gone.

Reply to
thetone